View Poll Results: What are your feelings about labor & delivery?
Only in a hospital 24 27.91%
Only at home (circumstances permitting) 33 38.37%
Open to both 29 33.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #61
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hospital vs. Home Birth...PLEASE HELP!!

In Arizona midwifes carry Pitocin, oxygen etc. I wouldn't be comfortable without those either.

I am having my first homebirth any day now actually. My practitioner is a CNM and a NP. I wouldn't get such involved and hands on care in a hospital from such an experienced practitioner truthfully because it would be bedside nurses with various experience providing care with various levels of competence. But I'll update after the baby comes, I am perfectly happy and excited with our decision.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #62
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital vs. Home Birth...PLEASE HELP!!

well considering I have caught hundreds of babies at homes and had 5 at home as well, i am all for homebirth or unassisted

If I had to use a midwife, I would only use one who is not certified. their stats for transport are much higher cause Dr's tell them what they can and cant do. if I were certified years ago, 80% of my clientel would not have been allowed to deliver the way they wished. and they all did great (including those previous c section moms, breech babies, twins, etc)

Last edited by homebirthmom; 12-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #63
divergirldee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
well considering I have caught hundreds of babies at homes and had 5 at home as well, i am all for homebirth or unassisted

If I had to use a midwife, I would only use one who is not certified. their stats for transport are much higher cause Dr's tell them what they can and cant do. if I were certified years ago, 80% of my clientel would not have been allowed to deliver the way they wished. and they all did great (including those previous c section moms, breech babies, twins, etc)
I think this depends on the state. Here in Texas, the MWs can be certified (Certified Nurse Midwife or Certified Practicing Midwife) and operate privately with no overhead from a doctor at all. I used a CPM for both my births and never saw an ob. Some doctors here have Certified Nurse Midwives on their practice and you birth in the hospital, then they would be under the direction of those OBs.