Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: SEVERELY chapped lips. What to do?

Another req for lanolin, works amazing for me, especially overnight.

Advertisement

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #42
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
And Omega complex. Ever since I started supplementing with Omega 3/6/9 I rarely need to use chapsticks during winter.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #43
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

We use lanolin. Slather it on before bed and they should be much better the next day.

Carmex is pretty good, too, I used that when I lived in Montana, mostly to prevent chapped lips. Once they get really bad, I think lanolin works best.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #44
nonniecita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Without a doubt, Lansinoh overnight and during the day, too. If it works great on painful, cracked nipples, you know it will make lips better!!! (I've used it on both with excellent results!)
nonniecita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #45
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
Anything to keep saliva and water from getting his lips wet and then drying. The Vaseline, lanolin (my fave!), cocnut oil, aquaphor, beeswax, etc are all waterproof and have staying power. Saliva can't get through and it stays on longer than Chapstick. It's the drying that keeps them from healing, so you need to keep the moisture locked in.

This is the key.

Vaseline works the best here. I'm for all natural but sometimes you need to use a little petroleum.

The moisture thing is the biggest deal. With really dry cracked skin the derm. suggested (for hands - mine bleed in the winter).

1. Take a shower (or soak your hands in a full sink)
2. Cover your hands in vaseline
3. Don't laugh - Wrap your hands in saran wrap
4. Put socks on top
5. Go to sleep

I do this in the winter when my hands bleed. I usually skip the saran wrap part - but this was an extreme thing the doctor suggested to keep the moisture in. (obviously you aren't wrapping his face with wrap - LOL)

But yes - vaseline at night just before bed - works wonders.

With anything it can start out as just chapped - then get all red and irritated and then get a bacterial infection - this is obviously a possibility if it stays red and raw, and exposed too long.

GL MAMA!!!

Last edited by fish3737; 12-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #46
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Mine aren't nearly as bad but I've been loading my lips with coconut oil before bed and then put a little on in the morning. I also found using Burt's bees lip stuff (in a tube like chap stick) helps too. It does tingle a little so his lips might sting when he puts it on but I did find it very moisturizing.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #47
cristancanoe
Registered Users

you have got some great advice! I wanted to add a small thought. I had similar issues when I was little. We discovered I was allergic to lanolin which is in a lot of products and was making it worse. If he doesn't improve, check the ingredients to see if there is anything he may be reacting to.

Good luck!
cristancanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #48
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
Bag balm is rock on too. It is made to clear up chapped cow udders. My dad swears by it for healing anything.
Yes! I had really chapped lips and bag balm healed it overnight. You can get a big thing at Walmart or our local tractor farming store has it in a small container. I felled does help. It keeps them moisturizer and helps hem heal. I'd do that, bag balm, or lanolin. I might try lanolin during the day just because it is safe if ingested but the bag balm at night.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #49
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH couldn't find Carminex. He got Carmex instead. He said the thought that maybe that's what y'all meant.

I put some on my lips last night and they felt sooo much better. We started putting it on DS1 today and OMG I can't believe how much better they look just from 3 applications so far today!

He complains that it stings (just for a second) but I told him that I know it stings, it'll only sting for a second, and his lips are already looking better. The scabs are softening and coming off, and the swelling is down.

I think he's picking at them less, due to the fact that the scabs are softer.

Thanks for all the help!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #50
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 View Post
Mine aren't nearly as bad but I've been loading my lips with coconut oil before bed and then put a little on in the morning. I also found using Burt's bees lip stuff (in a tube like chap stick) helps too. It does tingle a little so his lips might sting when he puts it on but I did find it very moisturizing.
I had been using the Burts Bees and coconut oil.

I couldn't figure out why it wasn't helping. Until I watched him put the chapstick on. He wasn't rubbing it on. His lips were so sore (I think), so he was barely putting the chapstick against his lips. I don't think he was getting enough on. The Carmex comes in a little tin and you get it on your finger then rub it on, so it goes on more easily!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote