Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
NOT losing weight while BFing

My YDD is 8 months old and aside from the initial weight loss, I haven't lost a pound since about a month PP.

I just started 30 Day Shred this week and I'm not seeing the scale budge AT ALL. I'm eating pretty well, no overindulging due to the holidays.

Am I the only "lucky" one who just doesn't lose weight while BFing?!

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: NOT losing weight while BFing

Not only have I not lost any weight I have gained weight. Nursing is making me very hungry. When I try to cut back I get so hungry I wind up overeating to make up for it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, you are not alone. I gain while breastfeeding. For me, I think part of it is that I'm tired, especially as long as I'm up at night with one kid or another. Eating more food in the evening helps me stay awake to get chores done. Without the extra boost to my blood sugar, I'd probably fall asleep when my kids do.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

I gain while breastfeeding as well. I think a lot of it does have to do with lack of sleep, and I'm constantly HUNGRY while breastfeeding...its not like a "oh, I'll have a little snack" kind of hungry...no, I'm talking like eating twice as much as my grown man hubby at each meal, plus snacks throughout the day, plus TONS of water (at least a gallon a day, usually that plus another 16-20 oz cup a day). As soon as baby weans, I drop about 20 pounds within the first month without trying, then I have to work a bit harder to drop anything after that. My third little one is 15 months old and still nursing, and I've had a record 10 pound overall weight loss since he was born...the most I've EVER managed to lose while breastfeeding. Keep eating healthy and exercising, it helps to already have the habits in place so that when you *do* start losing, you don't have any big changes you have to work into your routine. It might not hurt to have your thyroid tested, maybe ask your doc? I had mine tested, but there's family history of thyroid issues for me...but it *can* cause issues with the ability to lose weight.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
No, you are not alone. I gain while breastfeeding. For me, I think part of it is that I'm tired, especially as long as I'm up at night with one kid or another. Eating more food in the evening helps me stay awake to get chores done. Without the extra boost to my blood sugar, I'd probably fall asleep when my kids do.
I know that's a large part of it. I think if I cut out late night snacking, I'd probably see a difference.

Of course, my house would likely suffer as well. Like you, I do most of my cleaning at night.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have lost 10 pounds in about 2 months by cutting out sweets entirely but I didn't lose a single pound after the initial birth weight loss until i started this simple diet. i am SSOOOO hungry while nursing! DS (also 8 mos) nurses a ton too! i'm hungrier than i ever was while pregnant. so i eat as much as i want. i try to eat healthfully, but if i can't or just don't once in a while, i don't beat myself up. just NO SWEETS at all. i think it helps, because i eat more other stuff instead, and sweets have no nutritional value but other foods do so when i do eat a ton at least i'm getting something out of it. no cakes, cookies, pudding, pie, ice cream, candy, etc. it's totally working for me and i was at the end of my rope. try it.

PM me if you want to do a one-on-one support diet with me i've been looking for someone who wants to, we could PM with weigh-ins occasionally, share successes and stories, share ideas, etc. our kids are the same age and we are in the same situation so it might work well
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I never lose unless I diet while BFing. In fact, I gain if I indulge at all in eating while nursing. I have lost 50 lbs since April when I had Finn do to very diligent dieting. I had to stop all my snacking. I snacked last night and gained a pound over night last night. It is sad how easily I gain when I nurse.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Nope. Same here. Try adding cardio ? I did & b4 I got preg again I started after yr of not loosing.....so frustrated as I lost in like no time with first. Kinda makes me wonder on 3rd ti8me around.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't lose weight either. My girl is 7 months and I still have 45 pounds to lose. I have been doing pretty rigorous exercise, 5 days/week, and the scale is inching down so slowly! The same thing happened with my 3 year old. When she weaned, I dropped 30 lbs. instantly. I'm hoping the same happens with, Juliet.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't drop weight while nursing either. My baby girl is 18 months and I don't want to wean yet but I also want to actually drop some pounds!
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote