Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: What shoes do you buy for your toddler/preschooler

We've been buying SR as well because they fit DS's wide feet the best, but I do have to agree that for everyday wear they are not holding up as well as i'd like now that he's wearing them for longer periods of time. He started wearing these in August (they were a little big at the time) and is still wearing them now. We don't buy half sizes, just whole. We always go to the next size up so 8 to a 9 then onward. He's in a 9wide currently.

They basically look ok but some of the stitching has been fraying for a couple months already. I have seen a few other brands (normal brands) that have wide sizing, and have thought about giving one of them a try. They always seem so stiff though compared to the normal SR's.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As much as it pains me... we love Crocs for our son. Even the imitation ones have been good. He has fat feet and they are roomier for him. I picked up a pair on a whim at Target last spring or summer for DS (they were made for Target by Crocs) and they were awesome. For summertime it was great because they were breathable, easy to put on & off, and didn't let in as much stuff (rocks, twigs, etc.) as sandals would. Oh, and we could just hose them off.

DS absolutely LOVED them and would cry if we wanted him to wear different shoes. Even when they got too tight he'd beg for the "blue ones." He wore different shoes for a couple of months, and then we recently got him a pair with the fleece inside (since it's cold out now) and now those are the ones he is always asking for (but sometimes he has to wear boots instead). We just got the cheap ones from Walgreens, which are surprisingly nice for $10, but I think in the spring we'll splurge on actual Crocs for him since he likes them so much and will be on his feet and playing outside so much.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
1st pair of SRs are in pretty decent shape, and they're probably 4 months old or so, and much to our dismay we found out we should have sized up a little sooner.
Because they've always slid on so easily, I assumed they fit, but his feet measure 8W now, and his current shoes are 7.5XW. Not a big deal, but the lady was explaining how kids may crunch up their toes to accommodate shoes that are getting too small.
He just turned 2, and I think we'll start having his feet checked every 3 months or so since I failed the eyeball test/thumb check.
The funniest part is DS "explained" how he curls up his toes inside his shoes to DF the other day, which is what prompted us to go shoe shopping today. We tend to check SR because of their selection of wide shoes. I agree they're not very economical compared to some shoes, but I've seen considerably more expensive shoes in stores like Foot Locker.
I've never had good luck with shoes from Walmart/Target etc for myself so I haven't tried them for DS.
I have noticed with SR that if you take out the insole, there is a little foot outline so you can test sizing at home and see exactly how it fits. You just put the insole on the floor and see if his toes go outside the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeBabyBoy View Post
I just buy them at Nordstrom, and if they wear too quickly I just take them back. DD had a pair of glittery Tom's that in 3 weeks the glitter was flaking off.; she'd only wore them about 10 times. They credited the money and we got something else.
I do this as well. Nordstrom has amazing customer service and will either just check your history if you do it on the card, or bring your receipt.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for asking this - I've always purchased shoes for DS at SR, but have been incredibly disappointed with the most recent pair. Nonstop fraying and stitching coming apart isn't what I had in mind... I'm going to look into some of the others mentioned, though I'm nervous because of DS having a wide food that selection might be limited.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah we have one pair that gets used the most. Some of the design stitching came out within a month but that wasn't a big deal. Now the toe sole is pealing off!

The other pair is the washable line. It is fairing better but also not the favorite, the velcro strips are fraying a lot.

DS has wide/XW feet as well. Another reason I am afraid to purchase with out someone knowledgeable checking the fit.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 12-27-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids wear Stride Rite. A couple times a year, they go on buy one get one free sales, and we stock up. I also get them from Amazon and Shoebuy sales, but you have to be careful because on some, Shoebuy is cheaper, and on some Amazon is cheaper, and some are cheaper at the store.

DS has these and they have worn like iron--6 months old and look brand new. I just bought DD the girl version because her sneakers were falling apart.

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I've never seen them on BOGO free.....I see them a couple times a year on BOGO half off, is that what you mean?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I've never seen them on BOGO free.....I see them a couple times a year on BOGO half off, is that what you mean?
We have BOGO free at our store here. It's awesome They happen about 3 times a year. One is going on right now...it might just depend on location, because the emails I get come from the local store.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Her and I live in the same location so that's why I was confused...I am by SR probably once a week at the mall and have never seen BOGO free, only half off.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hopefully it won't happen to us again then. I will have Ds wear the worst pair into the store and make a comment -- see if they jump on it.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote