Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #141
TwistedBranches
Registered Users
Formerly: MommaCrunch82
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Picture Tutorial: Making Recycled Fleece and/or Wool Longies

This thread needs another bump because it hasn't been in a while and it's awesome! A few things I've found with making Longies / Shorties out of recycled wool sweaters:

1) I always "felt" the sweater by running it through the hot cycle and drying it before making anything... that way it won't shrink anymore (not totally necessary, but necessary in my household where DH can sometimes mess up laundry.) After I make them into longies, I go over them with the fabric shaver to remove pilling.

2) If you're finding that the waist needs to be higher-- what I do is use the waistband from the sweater and sew it onto the "top" of the longies/shorties where this tutorial shows you folding it over to create a pocket for the elastic. Usually this adds just enough in the waist area. You then add the elastic at the top of the addition that you just sewed on. If you want to, you can use a different color sweater's waistband for contrasting/complimenting color longies / shorties!

3) Sometimes, I'll have a bunch of extra little wool scraps and I'll make appliques out of them and put them on the longies /shorties for added flair. (A little whale on a butt here, a flower on the leg there... too cute!)

4) The Goodwill by me has the color tag of the previous week for .99 on the Sunday of the new week (so... this past week was "yellow" tag week and it just changed to "white" tag week today... making all "yellow" tags $1.00!). I'm not sure if this is all Goodwill stores, or just mine... but since it's kind of the chain thrift store out there, it's worth asking! I just picked up 3 sweaters to make longies with today!

Sew and recycle away!

Advertisement

TwistedBranches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #142
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

saving, this looks great thanks!
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #143
foolsgold
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered because I didn't read through all 11+ pages of this thread but I was wanting to know if there was a tutorial to make pants out of the left over BODY of the sweater after cutting off the sleeves? Or do you just treat it like regular fabric and cut the pattern out of it and sew it up?
ISO: Chubby Cherub AI2 Diapers!
Find BF'ing Ribbons here.

Last edited by foolsgold; 10-16-2012 at 07:47 AM.
foolsgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #144
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsgold
I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered because I didn't read through all 11+ pages of this thread but I was wanting to know if there was a tutorial to make pants out of the left over BODY of the sweater after cutting off the sleeves? Or do you just treat it like regular fabric and cut the pattern out of it and sew it up?
I would imagine you could use the side seams as the inner part of the legs. I actually used the body of one for a sleep sack and just kind of made it up as I went lol
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #145
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoreta View Post
I would imagine you could use the side seams as the inner part of the legs. I actually used the body of one for a sleep sack and just kind of made it up as I went lol
Okay, now you have me curious... any pix of your creation?! Is it a tube style or does it have a closure like a zipper?! Oh, I would LOVE to see pix !!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #146
proudmommy5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am soooo excited to find this, thank you so much for sharing it and I thought I would give it another bump