Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 3 year old discipline and sleep problems

Is it possible for her to go to bed earlier? In our house, 8:30 would be way late for a little one. Our DD went from being a great sleeper to a horrible sleeper around 18 mos. We discovered that if we kept her up past 7:00- 7:30, she seemed to miss a window of sleep and then took forever to get to sleep. And, still, at 9, she has a sleep window and struggles to sleep if we keep her up late.

As for the other behaviour, yes, I would say it is entirely normal. Although hard, we try to ignore anything that is not damaging or major rule breaking. With the dinner, once she got down, she would be done, plate gone.

Two-three is the time where they test their independence and see what they can do (I don't want to say "get away with" because that implies maliciousness). It is a time where parents have to discuss and decide what is important to the family, and find an approach that is consistent. That and a bucketload of patience.

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know about moving bed time up. We will for sure have to if naps go away, but once I go back to work, it will really cut into our time with her. It would make DH and I sad to lose an hour with our bebe. . Otoh it's not about us, I know.

Foggy Knits WAHM Page Foggy Knits Facebook
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Is it possible for her to go to bed earlier? In our house, 8:30 would be way late for a little one. Our DD went from being a great sleeper to a horrible sleeper around 18 mos. We discovered that if we kept her up past 7:00- 7:30, she seemed to miss a window of sleep and then took forever to get to sleep. And, still, at 9, she has a sleep window and struggles to sleep if we keep her up late.
This is what I was going to suggest as well. 8:30 seems really late for a 3-year-old, and I wonder if she is getting overtired. (My 6-year-old goes to bed at around 8pm...at 8:30, she would be overtired.)
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

We have had a lot of the same issues. my son will be 3 in march and Co slept until around 18 mo to 2 yrs and then the best was just too small for the 3 of us esp with me being pregnant with baby #2 and now that she's here there is NO way. Even when I want him in our bed to snuggle there literally isn't room no one can breath its such a tight squeeze. So we got him a noise machine and use waves or rain and that helped a lot! We read stories and then turn it on and snuggle, if he won't stop talking playing or wiggling then I tell him I have to leave so he can sleep that makes him stop and sometimes I have to day it and actually get up to leave and then give him another chance. They are soo testing at this age and he will usually settle down and snuggle up and sleep. Then I leave the room. Also bc he prefers mommy of he wont go to be for me and wont stop talking wiggling playing or whatever I have to follow through and have my husband do it. He doesn't always stay in his bed and will sometimes w ake up in the night a time or two but usually goes right back to sleep when the noise machine turns on and I lay therefor a min. I think he does this bc he falls asleep with someone and then when that person isn't there when they wake (all people wake throughout the night and check their surroundings we just don't usually remember it) and they then come looking for us in our room. I think we can work on falling asleep alone later when he's a little older. Anyway also we try ad have bedtime routine done by 8 at the latest but we try to start by 7 and be done by 730 bc like pp said once they miss their. natural sleep window and kids are earlier then you would think, then they get a second wind like

Last edited by LaurenAppenzeller; 12-28-2012 at 10:55 AM.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylasmommy View Post
I don't know about moving bed time up. We will for sure have to if naps go away, but once I go back to work, it will really cut into our time with her. It would make DH and I sad to lose an hour with our bebe. . Otoh it's not about us, I know.
I know. You guys have to decide if that hour is worth putting up with bedtime hijinks. If it is, then it is. Might be worth your sanity with a newbie on the way to have her in bed earlier, too.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

Like literally in all people something happens in your brain to help you stay awake making it hard to fall asleep. Also at that age you really have to pick your battles and stick to things that are the most important and let the rest go. Also I found the more positive attention Igive my son the better his behavior is even tho its hard sometimes bc there is so much to do with a baby and a toddler and keeping the house up. My son also still takes a nap at almost 3 yrs old for an hrs or 2 in the afternoon right after lunch. He absolutely still needs it or else his behavior is really bad and we end up having a difficult rest of the da.y I know not all kids need to at that age but he does and he will be starting Montessori as soon as he turns s 3 and they have the 3 yr olds nap still after lunch too so I want him till in that habit for their sake. Also I read something about babies/kids and it has always stuck with me "sleep begets sleep"

Last edited by LaurenAppenzeller; 12-28-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAppenzeller
Also I found the more positive attention Igive my son the better his behavior is even tho its hard sometimes bc there is so much to do with a baby and a toddler and keeping the house up.
I think this has been my hardest struggle. Being this preggo, having Ayla home for winter break, trying to keep the house in order, prepping for the home birth. My positivity is lacking as is my patience.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

^^mine too! It took me a while to figure out that's what he was doing (trying to get some attention) and then I felt bad ....mama guilt :/ also just testing me to figure out what's acceptable and what's not, seeing if I would follow through

Last edited by LaurenAppenzeller; 12-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

So yesterday, Ayla happened to not have a nap yesterday so we decided to try putting her to bed early. We got in bed about 7:30 with our books. Lights out about 8. She was good for a bit then she started fussing about and playing so we told her it was bed time and mommy and daddy would need to leave the room so she could sleep if she kept moving about. She said ok and quieted down a bit, but soon started back up. We left and for the next two hours daddy and I took turns going in and laying with her, leaving if she started moving around.

All in all, it took longer to get her to sleep, however I feel much better about it. I didn't get ridiculously frustrated because I just left if she started playing and DH and I switched off.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

And the last two days we've done away with naps and taken her to the park for several hours. She has been going to bed at 7ish and without any fuss. Food has been less of a struggle as well. Who knew cutting out the naps would make it so much easier!