Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Re: How can I increase my supply without a pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen View Post
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lacta...asing.html?m=1
This is the recipe I use- you could substitute the butter for Earth Butter or something vegan I suppose Oh mama, my heart goes out to you. I hope you get some rest and the kids get better! My DS nurses CONSTANTLY when he has a cold and is cranky the rest of the time. It's exhausting, I can't imagine how I would cope with more than one sicky at a time!
I've been wanting the recipe for these cookies too! I can't use the regular Earth Balance butter because it does have soy in it. If you are going to use Earth Balance, they have a soy-free tub.

OP, I'm having the same problem now. I used to have tons of milk, leaking all the time. Now I only leak a little at night and my breasts don't feel as full. Good luck, and I hope the cookies work for you mama!

Advertisement

desibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibob

OP, I'm having the same problem now. I used to have tons of milk, leaking all the time. Now I only leak a little at night and my breasts don't feel as full. Good luck, and I hope the cookies work for you mama!
So you know, that's normal and doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk. It just means your body is figuring out how much you need and not making a bunch of excess.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post

I was able to get some sleep last night. Seven hours total; non consecutive, but still seven hours! Much better than the four hours I've been averaging for the past week. My right breast is still barely full though which doesn't make much sense because it used to be my better producer. The left side is plainly full, but I've been putting her on the right side first even though there's hardly anything there to try and get it to make more milk. I was considering getting some fenugreek pills today to see if that would help. It's just so weird that its the right side that's drying up because its my left side that I keep getting clogged ducts in. We've almost made it to four months EBF, but we still have a long way to go so I need to figure this out. Thanks for your input.
You should switch sides. I would not continue to only free off the right. You're telling your body the left doesn't need to produce. I would just nurse and worry if she's not gaining or having enough wet/poopy diapers. You're body knows what its doing don't stress it. Using a different pump can affect outcome. Remember when you pump that's not the amount you're making JUST the amount you pumped. Pumps don't empty your breast like A baby.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post

So you know, that's normal and doesn't mean that you don't have enough milk. It just means your body is figuring out how much you need and not making a bunch of excess.
This! It's normal for your body to only make what you need!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
desibob
Registered Users
seller

Re: How can I increase my supply without a pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
This! It's normal for your body to only make what you need!
Really?! Hmmm. It just feels like he's on the boob more often these days, especially at night. He refuses bottles and pacifiers, so I'm basically his binky. :/ It's like he grazes at night and wakes up every hour. I'm soo tired

Would eating lactation cookies mess with my supply?
desibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibob

I've been wanting the recipe for these cookies too! I can't use the regular Earth Balance butter because it does have soy in it. If you are going to use Earth Balance, they have a soy-free tub.

I use the tub version of the Earth Balance because I need soy free too. I don't mind it for baking, but I don't care for it in cooking. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to meet my pediatricians lactation nurse tomorrow to try and see why the baby is refusing the right breast. I've gotten a rental pump, but I need new membranes According to the nurse Because I have very little suction. Either my mother or husband is going to fetch them from the store for me tomorrow because its an hour away from our house.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607

You should switch sides. I would not continue to only free off the right. You're telling your body the left doesn't need to produce. I would just nurse and worry if she's not gaining or having enough wet/poopy diapers. You're body knows what its doing don't stress it. Using a different pump can affect outcome. Remember when you pump that's not the amount you're making JUST the amount you pumped. Pumps don't empty your breast like A baby.
Don't worry I am switching sides. I just start her on the right side more often. That's what that doctors office told me to do. I just got a rental pump again so I'm going to start pumping tonight. The baby is wetting enough, just not as frequently as before. She tends to hold it and go all at once. My left side is huge and overflowing with milk so she's getting most of her food from that side. I wouldn't mind being lopsided if the left side didn't hurt so much. I'm worried that I'm going to get mastitis and lose my milk and with the right side hardly producing that would be a huge problem. I'm not getting anything from my right side right now with the pump and I can only get drops with hand expression. Last month before I stopped pumping I was always getting at least an ounce after feeding and four ounces n the morning after feeding. I also checked my weight today and I'm down 4 lbs from last week so that might have something to do with it. I've been drinking lots of water and some juice though to stay hydrated. I've been trying to eat more today and I think it's getting better.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2

Don't worry I am switching sides. I just start her on the right side more often. That's what that doctors office told me to do. I just got a rental pump again so I'm going to start pumping tonight. The baby is wetting enough, just not as frequently as before. She tends to hold it and go all at once. My left side is huge and overflowing with milk so she's getting most of her food from that side. I wouldn't mind being lopsided if the left side didn't hurt so much. I'm worried that I'm going to get mastitis and lose my milk and with the right side hardly producing that would be a huge problem. I'm not getting anything from my right side right now with the pump and I can only get drops with hand expression. Last month before I stopped pumping I was always getting at least an ounce after feeding and four ounces n the morning after feeding. I also checked my weight today and I'm down 4 lbs from last week so that might have something to do with it. I've been drinking lots of water and some juice though to stay hydrated. I've been trying to eat more today and I think it's getting better.
You should lead off the opposite breast at every feeding. Not sure why they would recommend you feed the same breasts over and over. Basically your left is just topping baby off and will likely stop producing at some point.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

You should lead off the opposite breast at every feeding. Not sure why they would recommend you feed the same breasts over and over. Basically your left is just topping baby off and will likely stop producing at some point.
Oh no I don't want that to happen. I'll go back to switching every time again.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post

I think its best to only feed on beast per session. It's easier too. I think you're way over thinking the right boob situation. You can't always pump your milk so its not a good indicator how much its making. Now that you got the pump I'd pump your left. Feed baby from the right at her next feeding. Ditch the pump and bf. Next feeding feed from the left. Keep up the rotation.