Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #51
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It was an obvious decision for us, my income would only leave us with $150 after child care expenses. Even after my husband took a huge pay cut in the last few months to start a new career, we still decided it would be better for me to stay home and save that money on the child care.

Plus it was what we wanted for our family, and we would probably do a lot more to make it happen, having only 1 vehicle, moving into a smaller house, etc.

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #52
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: What Lengths Have You/Would You Go To To Stay Home?

We sacrificed fancy vacations and eating out often. We were not able to keep up my contributions to a 401k and we bought a smaller home in a slightly different neighborhood than we wanted.

I would not have sacrificed health, life or disability insurance. We would not have had me SAH if we had to receive assistance to to do. SAH is a luxury that not everyone can afford. It is not easy or a vacation. But, it is tough financially.

I went back to school while I was at home and now work full time as a nurse. DH and I work opposite schedules and the kids are all in school, but there are no childcare expenses. The time we have together now is all quality.

I also would not sacrifice my DH's ability to get time with the kids so I could be at home. I find it sad to see dads who work multiple jobs and never get to see their kids awake so mom can be at home. I think mom should get the extra job so dad can have home time too.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #53
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

I also would not sacrifice my DH's ability to get time with the kids so I could be at home. I find it sad to see dads who work multiple jobs and never get to see their kids awake so mom can be at home. I think mom should get the extra job so dad can have home time too.
I agree. My four year old actually told me he wants me to get a job too so he can spend time with dad. lol... Or not so lol.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #54
PBPMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would only stay home if we were able to continue to save money, contribute fully to both of our retirement savings and maintain health, disability and life insurance for all of us, in addition to our household expenses. I am not willing to sacrifice our long-term financial stability to stay home. Luckily, my mom keeps my son and my nephew who is close to is age. I do pay her and I feel very comforted knowing he is in such a loving environment when he is away from his dad and I. I am however working towards the goal to change careers next year that will allow me to work closer to home and more time off. It will mean I will earn half of what I do now but I think that it is worth it.
PBPMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #55
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I can't stay at home as DH is in school using his GI Bill but if he were to get a job making roughly what I do, I might consider it. The key for us is living in a modest home (still in an awesome area though)- the one I bought as a single 21yr old mom of two before DH and I even started dating.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know that there's anything that would make me stay home...at least not FT. Right now, I do wish I had more time to spend w/ DD & that the time I do spend w/ her had fewer other demands. However, DP & I each make pretty good incomes. I have no desire to SAH once DD (&/or future kids) are in school, but I fear that staying home FT would take me away from my profession, & that when I was ready to return to work, I would have lost skills, a professional network, and a certain amount of relevance. Ideally, I'd like a PT position...especially since DD is doing so great in her DC/Preschool class that I'd still want to keep her in PT, even if I were able to stay at home.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #57
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I decided that financially it didn't make sense to pay for childcare and have next to nothing left over to care for my child. Staying home has been so valuable for our family. No one has to worry about missing work when the kids are sick and mine have been pretty ill for weeks at time.

My DH would really like me to go back to school (my education degree is essentially worthless now) once the kids are in school, but I would like to stay home/work part time until they are out of the house ideally. I feel like we'll be even busier when they're in school with activities and such.

We are living comfortably, but don't really have anything in savings. As we get some things paid off, we'll be able to build our emergency fund, but life always seems to conspire against us with bills and things that break.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #58
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were broke when we had our first. We rented a tiny one bedroom apartment and made it work until my DS was 1.5 years old. Now we have three kids and I am still home, though there are days that I dream of having a job and getting some time away.
I do work on Saturdays for 10 hours so I bring in a bit of money but I do end up missing out on a lot of stuff with the kids.

We do have a lot of credit card debt and a huge car payment (my DH had caviar dreams on a mcnugget budget but finally came to his senses) but we are slowly (very slowly) paying everythign down- we are lucky because my DH got a promotion last year and makes a lot in commission so we do have a tiny bit of breathing room.

For me to stay home we cut out a ton of stuff, but all things that really don't matter to us. We do have great health insurance and dental through my DH's work.

I wanted to stay home because I personally could not leave my kids with a stranger-the thought made me feel sick to my stomach (so overly dramatic, I know). My dream was never a big house or nice stuff- it was just to be a mom. Now my dream is to be a mom with a nanny
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #59
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I don't know that there's anything that would make me stay home...at least not FT. Right now, I do wish I had more time to spend w/ DD & that the time I do spend w/ her had fewer other demands. However, DP & I each make pretty good incomes. I have no desire to SAH once DD (&/or future kids) are in school, but I fear that staying home FT would take me away from my profession, & that when I was ready to return to work, I would have lost skills, a professional network, and a certain amount of relevance. Ideally, I'd like a PT position...especially since DD is doing so great in her DC/Preschool class that I'd still want to keep her in PT, even if I were able to stay at home.
I agree with you. We'd be ok financially with me staying home. But, we'd be sacrificing so much. When I think of our family's future, I think about all aspects including what it will be like when the girls start school, my job prospects in the future, and retirement. When we discussed me staying home, it came down to the fact that our family will benefit more from me working. I miss my daughters like crazy and I do question whether I'm doing the right thing. But with me working we do have more financial security and stability.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
squiddles
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by squiddles; 12-30-2012 at 12:22 AM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote