Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607

I think its best to only feed on beast per session. It's easier too. I think you're way over thinking the right boob situation. You can't always pump your milk so its not a good indicator how much its making. Now that you got the pump I'd pump your left. Feed baby from the right at her next feeding. Ditch the pump and bf. Next feeding feed from the left. Keep up the rotation.
Block feeding does simplify!

Advertisement

__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607

I think its best to only feed on beast per session. It's easier too. I think you're way over thinking the right boob situation. You can't always pump your milk so its not a good indicator how much its making. Now that you got the pump I'd pump your left. Feed baby from the right at her next feeding. Ditch the pump and bf. Next feeding feed from the left. Keep up the rotation.
I just tried to feed her on the right side and she pitched a fit but I got her to eat for about 8 minutes. She usually nurses more like 20 minutes per side. I e got her on the left side now because she was still hungry. I wish I could block nurse because that does seem easier. I'm going to pump after every feeding and hope for the best. I have some blood work I need to have done for my thyroid in the morning. I'm hypothyroid on full replacement and I was over medicated so my Endo cut my dose back. I'm wondering if this or my Pcos is causing problems. I hope not. I know that something is wrong though because I'm exhausted, extremely week and my hair is falling out in clumps. Maybe another good nights sleep will help. Thanks for the advice.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: How can I increase my supply without a pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I just tried to feed her on the right side and she pitched a fit but I got her to eat for about 8 minutes. She usually nurses more like 20 minutes per side. I e got her on the left side now because she was still hungry. I wish I could block nurse because that does seem easier. I'm going to pump after every feeding and hope for the best. I have some blood work I need to have done for my thyroid in the morning. I'm hypothyroid on full replacement and I was over medicated so my Endo cut my dose back. I'm wondering if this or my Pcos is causing problems. I hope not. I know that something is wrong though because I'm exhausted, extremely week and my hair is falling out in clumps. Maybe another good nights sleep will help. Thanks for the advice.
PCOS can cause issues for breast feeding. It is recommended to be on Metformin to keep your milk supply up. I have it too. I also have hypothyroidism. All my babies except this one have prefered my left breat to my right causing little to no milk on hte right and a ton on hte left. Try if you can to get her on both sides for your sanity.

I have to be on reglan to keep producing with fenugreek and metformin with my PCOS. So do not be shocked if you need a prescription. Some people prefer domperidone (sp?) but my insurance does not cover it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
I take metformin, but I've only been taking a low dose once a day, but I can bump it up to twice a day. Before I was pregnant I was taking 1000 mg twice a day but they made me stop when I reached twelve weeks. I'm a little disappointed with my Ped. The nurse I spoke to last night was pushing formula without ever seeing the baby. I don't care if it hard for me. I still want to breastfeed my DD. I'm glad that you have success with the metformin and reglan. I'll ask the pediatrician about the reglan. They didn't have room for us to go in this morning so another nurse is supposed to call me this afternoon. I started taking fenugreek yesterday. Taking two pills three times a day. The baby is nursing on the right side now. She only wants to be in the football hold on this breast but ill take what I can get.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: How can I increase my supply without a pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
I take metformin, but I've only been taking a low dose once a day, but I can bump it up to twice a day. Before I was pregnant I was taking 1000 mg twice a day but they made me stop when I reached twelve weeks. I'm a little disappointed with my Ped. The nurse I spoke to last night was pushing formula without ever seeing the baby. I don't care if it hard for me. I still want to breastfeed my DD. I'm glad that you have success with the metformin and reglan. I'll ask the pediatrician about the reglan. They didn't have room for us to go in this morning so another nurse is supposed to call me this afternoon. I started taking fenugreek yesterday. Taking two pills three times a day. The baby is nursing on the right side now. She only wants to be in the football hold on this breast but ill take what I can get.
I am on 1000 mg 2 times per day. It has helped me a lot and regulates my PCOS well.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
I'm going to have to let the doctor know that I want to go back up to my pre pregnancy dose. I spoke with a nurse at the Ped this afternoon and she told me to pump three times a day and drink a dark beer every night. I don't really like beer though. My electric pump is still being difficult but I used my hand pump today and I was able to get off 1oz from the right side so I think that the fenugreek pills are working.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #27
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: How can I increase my supply without a pump?

The dark beer will help.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
MandaMommy2's Avatar
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamlin, NY
Posts: 615
My Mood:
So I drank a magic hat stout last night and it was gross but I think it really helped my milk supply. Plus my pee smells like maple syrup so the fenugreek must be working. However we went to the pediatrician today and she was down 3 oz in a week, but they've been weighing her on a triple beam scale the last two times and I don't know how accurate it is. She is up a pound overall for the month so thats good, but im still worried. The doctor thinks that the baby is just having a hard time getting over a stomach bug because she's refusing to eat and has been having smelly green poopies. I was told to just keep doing what I'm doing and bring her back in ten days for her four month check up and hopefully her weight will be up. I was also told to start giving her a half packet of children's probiotic a day mixed with some applesauce. Until now she's only ever had breast milk. I had intended to hold off on solids until 6 months but she seemed to like it. I though you were supposed to start on rice cereal though, but the head doctor who owns the practice told me to do it so I did. She's just been so unhappy and cries a lot. Maybe it's more good allergies? I'm not going anywhere for the next two days so I'm just going to stay home to take care of her and pump.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
jaelynsmommy61607's Avatar
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 7,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2 View Post
So I drank a magic hat stout last night and it was gross but I think it really helped my milk supply. Plus my pee smells like maple syrup so the fenugreek must be working. However we went to the pediatrician today and she was down 3 oz in a week, but they've been weighing her on a triple beam scale the last two times and I don't know how accurate it is. She is up a pound overall for the month so thats good, but im still worried. The doctor thinks that the baby is just having a hard time getting over a stomach bug because she's refusing to eat and has been having smelly green poopies. I was told to just keep doing what I'm doing and bring her back in ten days for her four month check up and hopefully her weight will be up. I was also told to start giving her a half packet of children's probiotic a day mixed with some applesauce. Until now she's only ever had breast milk. I had intended to hold off on solids until 6 months but she seemed to like it. I though you were supposed to start on rice cereal though, but the head doctor who owns the practice told me to do it so I did. She's just been so unhappy and cries a lot. Maybe it's more good allergies? I'm not going anywhere for the next two days so I'm just going to stay home to take care of her and pump.
I dont think applesauce is a good idea for a 3.5 month old. Someone correct me if im wrong but I believe if you take probitics it will get transferred to her. Also the brewers yeast in beer can upset babies. Rice cereal use to be the starting food. A lot of moms now avoid it. It really doesnt have any nutritional value.
__________________
Jessica-Mommy
Jaelyn(6-16-07) & Dominic (2-4-10)
HBA2C Damian(6-19-12)
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #30
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607

I dont think applesauce is a good idea for a 3.5 month old. Someone correct me if im wrong but I believe if you take probitics it will get transferred to her. Also the brewers yeast in beer can upset babies. Rice cereal use to be the starting food. A lot of moms now avoid it. It really doesnt have any nutritional value.
Agree with all of this.....
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.