Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Mama*Kim's Avatar
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,322
My Mood:
Ds2 has been on meds for reflux since he was 2 months old. We took him off meds about 3 weeks ago. He's started waking more, coughing and crying at night, and refusing meals. I'm sure he needs to go back on meds, but for some reason I keep hoping its something else. Maybe he's getting a cold or something? Right? I just don't know what to do. He's never seen a GI. When he was 2 months, the pedi prescribed reflux meds, they worked, so we went with an assumed diagnosis of reflux. We took a break from meds when he was 6 months old and he only gained 2 ounces in the 2 months he was off meds.

I don't even know what this post is for really. I guess I just need some support. Please tell me I'm not the only one with an almost 2 year old with reflux.

Advertisement

__________________
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
NotLad's Avatar
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The UT
Posts: 2,436
My Mood:
Re: Reflux help

It sounds like he needs to go back on meds.

I'm surprised you haven't been referred to a GI specialist. If the sphincter hasn't matured by now, it should be investigated.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Mama*Kim's Avatar
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,322
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad
It sounds like he needs to go back on meds.

I'm surprised you haven't been referred to a GI specialist. If the sphincter hasn't matured by now, it should be investigated.
The pedi was planning to give a referral at his 2 year checkup if he was still having symptoms. That's why DH and I decided to do another trial without the med. we wanted to see if he still had symptoms without it.
__________________
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
UnderTheStars's Avatar
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between the Mississippi and a cornfield
Posts: 6,895
My Mood:
Re: Reflux help

Was he ok for that whole time he was on the meds? If so, I would put him back on them for sure. The recent problems you are describing are very much reflux symptoms and if it is severe enough to make him want to skip meals the acid might be doing damage to his little throat. You could certainly get a referral to a GI doc, but they will likely tell you to do the same thing - put him back on the meds. We have gone back and forth with GI and ENT docs over this for three years with my DS (except the meds they keep trying to give us don't work...).
__________________
Alex
[ mom to my cowboy ballerina and my boy-of-steel ]
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Mama*Kim's Avatar
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,322
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz
Was he ok for that whole time he was on the meds? If so, I would put him back on them for sure. The recent problems you are describing are very much reflux symptoms and if it is severe enough to make him want to skip meals the acid might be doing damage to his little throat. You could certainly get a referral to a GI doc, but they will likely tell you to do the same thing - put him back on the meds. We have gone back and forth with GI and ENT docs over this for three years with my DS (except the meds they keep trying to give us don't work...).
For the most part, yes, the meds worked. We had rough patches here and there, but he did ok. He didn't start sleeping through the night until he was about 18 months, and even then, not regularly. Up until we took him off the medicine, he'd wake up a few times a week, but quickly go back to sleep on his own. The last few weeks, he's up screaming a few times a night.
__________________
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
UnderTheStars's Avatar
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between the Mississippi and a cornfield
Posts: 6,895
My Mood:
Re: Reflux help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
For the most part, yes, the meds worked. We had rough patches here and there, but he did ok. He didn't start sleeping through the night until he was about 18 months, and even then, not regularly. Up until we took him off the medicine, he'd wake up a few times a week, but quickly go back to sleep on his own. The last few weeks, he's up screaming a few times a night.
That isn't unusual for someone with reflux. It is way worse at nighttime because you are lying down and it makes it easier for the acid to travel back up and cause that heartburn sensation. What meds is/was he on? Most of them are acid-blockers - meaning they don't actually prevent the liquid from coming back up, it just neutralizes the acid in their stomach so when it DOES come up, it doesn't hurt or do damage.
__________________
Alex
[ mom to my cowboy ballerina and my boy-of-steel ]
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Mama*Kim's Avatar
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,322
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz

That isn't unusual for someone with reflux. It is way worse at nighttime because you are lying down and it makes it easier for the acid to travel back up and cause that heartburn sensation. What meds is/was he on? Most of them are acid-blockers - meaning they don't actually prevent the liquid from coming back up, it just neutralizes the acid in their stomach so when it DOES come up, it doesn't hurt or do damage.
First med was Zantac. He was on that from 2-6 months. The pedi suggested a trial off meds at that point. He was good for about 2 months. Then symptoms came back, and we found out he'd only gained 2 ounces in over two months. He went back on Zantac and symptoms lessened, but didn't go away, so we tried Prevacid. That was a huge failure. He screamed almost nonstop for the three days he was on it. At 8.5 months, we switched to Prilosec. He's been doing pretty well on it, but I'm just starting to wonder if there's something else we should be investigating at this point. I mean, he almost 2.
__________________
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
Mama*Kim's Avatar
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,322
My Mood:
I'm wondering if I should push for allergy testing. We've figured out that he doesn't do well with much dairy, but small amounts don't seem to affect him. He reflux gets much worse if he has much dairy. One day we were at my grandpa's house and people kept refilling his sippy cup with milk. I have no idea how much he drank, but he was miserable for days.
__________________
Hi! I'm Shannon Wife to J
Mama to a couple of crazy boys - L (12/07) and E (2/11)
and Meatball coming 4/14
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
kimb96
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,417
Re: Reflux help

My son has never outgrown his reflux. Some kids never do. He was on prevacid until he was 3 and a half and now we just treat with Mylanta as needed.
__________________
Kim

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,221
My Mood:
Re: Reflux help

With meds like Prilosec you almost always have some rebound reflux at first. He may need a more gradual weaning if you want to try to get him off meds.
__________________
Suzi, working mama to my ODS(2004) , YDS(2006), DSD(2004) and married to the love of my life
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.