Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
CandaceB
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was wondering about ham stock also. I'm glad I saw this thread. Does anyone have a good recipe for Split Pea Soup? I've never even eaten it before.

Advertisement

CandaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
lovebear
Registered Users

Re: Ham stock.

You can try making winter minestrone using ham stock. I never tried making it yet but it's sometimes better to be creative making soup for the cold climate.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaceB View Post
I was wondering about ham stock also. I'm glad I saw this thread. Does anyone have a good recipe for Split Pea Soup? I've never even eaten it before.
Wow! Really?

You just toss an onion diced, a carrot or two sliced (or diced or even a handful or two of baby carrots whole), add a whole bag of split peas (rinse them first but no need to soak), and a few dashes of pepper. Make sure you have enough stock that it covers the peas by about 1 to 5 inches (depending on if you want it thick or not. ) Add extra ham if you want. Bring to a boil. Then simmer stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. It takes about 50 minutes to an hour to cook. It's easy! (taste about 10 minutes before it is done to see if it needs salt. Usually the ham is enough).

This is the basic kind I always make. You can other things but this comes out like Pea Soup in the can.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
blueyes
Registered Users

Make a good gravy out of ham stock, they're tasty when poured over burger patties. You can even use the gravy for mashed potatoes. Aside from making it as gravy, it can be used a vegetable or chips dip.
blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #15
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes View Post
Make a good gravy out of ham stock, they're tasty when poured over burger patties. You can even use the gravy for mashed potatoes. Aside from making it as gravy, it can be used a vegetable or chips dip.
Do you mind describing how you make your gravy. I am always disappointing with the gravy I make. I've only used Turkey stock before, so maybe the stock will make all the difference.

I still have the 2nd ham's stock. Since all but one member of the family loves gravy over everything this is a good idea. I can freeze what we don't use immediately.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Wow! Really?

You just toss an onion diced, a carrot or two sliced (or diced or even a handful or two of baby carrots whole), add a whole bag of split peas (rinse them first but no need to soak), and a few dashes of pepper. Make sure you have enough stock that it covers the peas by about 1 to 5 inches (depending on if you want it thick or not. ) Add extra ham if you want. Bring to a boil. Then simmer stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. It takes about 50 minutes to an hour to cook. It's easy! (taste about 10 minutes before it is done to see if it needs salt. Usually the ham is enough).

This is the basic kind I always make. You can other things but this comes out like Pea Soup in the can.
This is about what I do, I add diced potato too and a couple of bay leaves and a little fresh thyme. (don't add it if you only have dried thyme )