Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
sdyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting back to baby wearing ~ need some input

I am having baby #6 in a few months and honestly, we stay at home most of the time. After having an emergency c-section with #5 (after 4 vaginal births), I stopped baby wearing because of the back issues I developed. And I STILL have the ring sling that I have used since the oldest was a wee one (almost 11 years ago).

So, here is my question. . . I have been out of the loop for a while, and have been dreaming of a wrap (not a moby) since the maya is on its last legs. My problem is that after having the same ring sling for all my kids, I am a bit clueless about woven wraps. What is the best one, which is most user friendly, easy to wash and care for, etc. . . Not to mention that after only investing in a maya (and a moby and mei tai ~ which I quickly found I didn't like and sold years ago) I am having a hard time justifying the price of the wovens I am seeing. Seriously, WHY are they so darn expensive?

I would love some insights to the questions above from real moms, since the websites I have googled I am seeing a lot of one sided reviews.
Thanks!

Advertisement

Stephanie ~ Artist, wife to BFF of 17yrs, mother to 6 (#6 due Feb/Mar 2013), home schooler, and loss mama.
sdyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
babydirtybike
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting back to baby wearing ~ need some input

I have had didymos, girasol, and Hopps. I still love them for ring sling conversions, but have gotten away from actually wrapping. I never got into the Uppymamas, or Natibaby. I was happiest with Didymos.

Anyone you ask will have a different answer as far as the "best" one. If you want easy to wash and less expensive, obviously stay away from cashmere, wool. I have washed my linen and cotton ones on warm and on low dryer or hung to dry with no shrinkage. As far as support, I can tell a huge difference in my girasol wrap conversion ring sling and my didymos stripe. The stripe doesn't "give" as much and is more comfortable for a heavy 2yo. With a newborn or any baby under 15lbs, there isn't a ton of difference.

Most of them are expensive b/c they are hand woven by non sweatshop workers with (often) organic or eco cert fabric harvesting techniques (read: unicorn tail hair woven by fairies). I have managed to snag a few wraps under $80, but that was endless browsing and pming people.

User friendly will depend on what carries you want to learn and if you feel like having 4.6m (a size 6) to wrestle with or if you want something shorter.

I have tried lots over the past 6 years, but there is so many carriers out there. I just stick with my favorites. Wrap conversion ring slings, a comfy mei tai (and old Kozy and a kindercarry with WIDE straps) and a n ssc that works for me (Kanga).
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote