Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need to upgrade my sewing machine

I currently have the Brother cs6000i and while I have used it for many projects, it's drawbacks are becoming more and more apparent - not the least of which is that the motor seems to be dying on me.

I'd like something that will actually last and be good for quilting, a small amount of clothes sewing, curtains, handling fairly thick fabrics and PUL.

I would like to be able to buy from Amazon as I have some gift cards there.

It should also be something that can handle being used at least weekly (5-15 hrs/week give or take)

I need something sooner than later as I'm half way through quilting my LO's quilt and would like to be done with it (as well as a few other projects) before she is born next month!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.

Last edited by Arizonah13; 10-13-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need to upgrade my sewing machine

Anybody?
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lol, I think I answered your question on another board. I have a brother pc420 that I love. I bought it to do 3 step zigzag on fitteds before I started quilting and I live it.

Even though it's another brother, understand that brother does entry level cheapy machines as well as higher end and top of the line machines that have a great reputation. They try to cover the whole spectrum of sewers. The pc420 is just renamed... It's one they used to sell in dealer stores for over $700 and Babylock sold the same machine for over $800. I did a ton of research and tried machines at 4 different dealers and this one seemed to be the best value in the price range. I didn't feel that I needed the dealer support as I already know how to operate a machine and at the price point wouldn't need a class.

If you really don't want another brother, I've read great things about a newer singer (since the merge their quality is improving) and janomes of course. If I were rebuyng now and couldn't have my pc420, I would go for a juki hands down. But it's $900 ish. :/

Eta: this is the singer I mentioned http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Check out patternreview.com For more thorough reviews... It keep in mind they heavily favor shopping at dealers. I am like you and happy to purchase online. Mine came from amazon, and my server from shopjoya. Both great experiences.

Last edited by misskira; 10-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL, yep I think you responded on the quilting board too!

Okay, here are some questions for you regarding the pc420:

How long have you had it?
How often/many hours would you say you put on it per week or month?
Does it sew a pretty straight stitch without too much help from you? (the cheaper brother I have NEEDED me to keep it guided if I wanted anything remotely straight).

I'm impressed that you were able to sew through fitteds on it! Does it seem to handle thick fabrics reasonably well?

How does it do with your quilt sandwiches?

You might just sell me on the upgraded Brother after all ;-)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had it since April and sewn a couple dozen fitteds, a few garments, and pieced, quilted and binded 2 quilts. It's handled everything pretty well. Not as well as my featherweight, but that's to be expected. It does a straight seam just fine as far as I can tell. It has quite a few feed dogs so that helps. I like that it has some stitch selections on the front so you don't have to scroll through with a single button for the common ones. That's one reason I returned the janome, because I switch between 3 step zig and straight stitch often. I love the thread cutter and the threader is way better than the janome. The janome also had a delay in the foot pedal that made it lag at first when pushed down and also it took a couple extra stitches once let off. It drove me nuts. Thats the main reason I returned it.

It's had no problem putting binding on or quilting the sandwiches. I've used the walking foot both times on the finished quilts. I've also been practicing FMQ with good results, but haven't done it inan actual quilt yet. I haven't done a lot of thick fabrics, but itdid do the straps ona bag I made no problem that were 4 layers of cotton and 2 layers of deco interfacing. iDVD some buttonholes on Easter vests I made and I tink they turned out great.

Overall I love it. If you have a brother dealer near you the innovis 80 is verY similar. I would recommend it, but obviously can't promise how long it will last since I've only had mine 6 months.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all that info! The nearest brother dealer is actually about 75 miles away (round trip) and is one of the other reasons I hesitate. I do like the sound of your machine's capabilities though and will definitely put it on my "strong maybe" list.

Thank you again for taking the time to let me know all that info!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
CharmedMama
Registered Users
Formerly: a*b*ss
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know this is an older thread, but curious as to what you decided to buy? I just did some major research on machines and had it narrowed down to the Brother PC-420 and the Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist. I am actually a Brother machine lover, but opted for the Singer! I read so many great reviews on both, but the Singer just seemed to have a lot more to offer. It was also actually cheaper as well, so that was another deciding point. It arrives Monday and I am super excited!! :]