Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Re: Allergies/Elecare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Lsmomma View Post
I've been doing a lot of googling, which could be good or bad, but I've come across a LOT of parents stating that these issues arose following their babies being vaccinated at their 2mo appts. The rotateq (most specifically) and dtap. DD had her 2mo vaccines on a Tuesday and the mucus/frequent bowl movements started on Saturday. I had mentioned this to the ped but they said that wouldn't cause this. I'm starting to believe otherwise. Anyone else notice this correlation?
My ds's story is very similar to the other poster's stories. And YES, my ds's issues went from mild to WILD about 7 days after he received his 2 mo vaccines...the only ones we ever did. And he only received a DTaP that day. My ds has a severe intolerance (doesn't come up on an allergy test) to dairy and the DTaP my son received was created using dairy. I absolutely believe that shot caused his situation to worsen 10-fold.

He lived almost exclusively on first Elecare (which we began about 2 weeks after that shot) and then Neocate once he was 1 yo and those formulas alone until he was about 2yo. He tolerated no solid foods at all until shortly before 2yo.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dd is almost 7 mos old and exclusively breastfed. We've recently started adding solids. She's been on Zantac since 1 month old for reflux and I cut out dairy early on and it didn't help. I'm glad to see other people agree with me regarding the vaccines. She's not had any yet. At her last checkup her ped basically told me that I was just asking for her to get sick and got a little smart with me about it. I told him that I didn't feel comfortable vaccinating until her reflux was under control and it clearly isn't. But she never failed to gain weight with hers. She was the opposite....she would nurse and nurse because her tummy hurt and make it worse. She's 21lbs at almost 7 mos!

Good luck mama. It's no fun having a reflux baby . Mine screamed every night for about 2-3 months starting at 3 weeks old. Hope you find something that works for you.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
M&Lsmomma
Registered Users
seller

Well, she's doing fine on elecare and the GI upped her zantac to 1ml 3x a day which seems to be okay, but she's still not eating any more than 20oz a day. I'm beginning to think this is just how she's going to be. It's like she's physically incapable or taking any more than that in a 24hr period. If she wakes in the night and I feed her, then she'll drink less through the day. She had her 4mo appt. a few days ago and she's finally hit 12lbs. But she went from the 40th percentil at 2mo to the 16th now at 4mo The doctor isn't hugely concerned since she had that big drop in weight and reflux. But she's not gaining as much as they'd like so we'll go back in a month for a weight check.

Sad to hear that other babies experienced the same after their 2mo vaxs. Wendow - how do you know that it was made w/ dairy? Is there someway I could find out? I didn't get the rotateq with her 4mo vax, because I think that is the one that caused the issue. But, who knows. She's had no issues thus far with the 4mo ones. But I'm waiting...
M&Lsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter never EVER in her life took more than 4 oz at a time.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Mine was/is a 4 oz. kid too. He would usually take 24 hrs. in a 24 hour period. Sometimes he'd get a little extra in there, but 24 was his average. All babies are different. Hopefully the new formula and the upped Zantac doseage will help your little girl out and get her gaining a little better.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
M&Lsmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies Yeah, I figure she's just going to be small. Afterall, I'm a pretty small person myself. But this ped we saw last week was the first doctor EVER to not be all "oh no no... she needs to be eating more!" and I'm like "Well, I can't force her to eat so I'm not sure what you'd like me to do." I asked the GI if I should/could lower the zantac now since it's not getting her to eat more anyhow, but she wants me to leave it how it is. We're also adding cereal to the bottle now. I just add about 2-3tps to 5oz and she's no longer spitting up. Huge relief, because she never ever spit up until we switched to elecare. But she's happy and overall healthy so I'm not worried Now if I could just get her to sttn again.... lol
M&Lsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Regarding the vax and what it was cultured on...I happened to read a thread on Parent's of Food Allergic kids where they were discussing vaxes and what they were cultured on. I found the DTaP and different brands with their "recipe". Only one showed being made with cow's milk. It was actually a mix of the DTaP, Hib, & Polio (I think)...sorry it's been almost 4 years...so I called our ped and asked the brand they gave my ds. Sure enough, it was the one made with dairy. His system went nuts after having received that vax so that made a ton of sense. He is still incredibly sensitive to dairy but doesn't show anything on an allergy test so it's **just** an intolerance. Doesn't matter though. At just over 4 yo, we avoid dairy of all and any kind for him. He is lots, lots better in so many ways though, so I try not to complain about avoiding just one food