Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users
umbilical cord stump

Warning yucky picture

Attachment 128531

Does that look normal?? My dd is 8 days old and when I was changing her diaper tonight it kind of fell off but is still attached by a little piece. Also why is it bulging like that??? Should I be worried?

going down with the ship.

Last edited by Scarlett's mommy; 03-25-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Scarlett's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: umbilical cord stump

It's an umbilical hernia, i would mention it at your next doctors visit, but most will have sorted themselves out by age 1 without surgery.
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ds's looked like that. His fell off thursday(2wks old). Its starting to really dry out and is just barely a little red. Dont know about the bulge though. My girls hernias were both an indent right above the belly button. Dd1 needed surgery but dd2s healed itself. Ds also has a dent above the button I'll be asking the ped about at his appt on wed-guess we'll see how that goes.
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 12-30-2012 at 06:37 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
My Mood:

It's fine. Z's looked like that, dh called it something (he's a baby doctor, so he's like my own little medical call line ), and said it was fine and would go away. And it did. The pooching is a bit of a hernia, and they usually go away, but the redness was the other name I forgot. My brain is mush these days from lack of sleep, lol. I think ds's looked perfectly normal within a couple of days.

My oldest son had to have his cauterized. It was over 7 years ago, but I think it was because it fell off at 3 days old and started oozing yucky stuff. His looked horrible! But it looks fine now.
Wife to my Navy doc, SAHM to 4 (11, 8, 5, 1)
Minniebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
Registered Users

Mama, my youngest had it and it went away on its own in less than a month without surgery. If you have doubts, have it checked at her doctor on the next visit.
blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
taylor's mom
Registered Users

littlest dd's looked just like that (can't remember what the other kids looked like anymore lol). the slight buldging went away after a month or so.
Crunchy Mama to Taylor 11/05, Aaron 6/09, Lucas 11/10, Hannah 7/12, and 3 precious angels in heaven.
taylor's mom is offline   Reply With Quote