Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shipping cost differences on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows View Post
I asked about the shipping difference and received a somewhat rude reply. To be fair, I asked one question before bidding (never answered) and the other about shipping after bidding, so I was already committed to buy.

The package arrived today and it says the postage was $8.30. I originally paid postage of $17.20. The seller later refunded $5.00 "for being rude," but I think it was because of the issue I found when I received the dress: the top layer of material is entirely torn away from the lining at the bust line, and frayed so it cannot be easily repaired.

I messaged the seller about this undisclosed issue, and she said she hadn't noticed the giant tear at the front top of the dress. She said to send it back and she'd refund the purchase price. That was only $3, whereas I paid $12.20 after refund for shipping.

Do I have any recourse here? If I pay for return shipping, then I'll be out over $20 for nothing. She's already made a small profit disguised as shipping fees, so she'd get the dress back AND be up by $3.90. I know these aren't large amounts, but the principle of it is really grinding on me. Can I ask for shipping fees back and/or return shipping paid? Is negative feedback an option, given that she's offered a form of resolution?
I was under the impression that shipping fees have to be returned as well. Yes, you may still have to pay the return shipping, but the original shipping is on the seller.

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
They're not supposed to charge anything over shipping and material cost. EBay can make them return the shipping difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh
They're not supposed to charge anything over shipping and material cost. EBay can make them return the shipping difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
I think they're allowed to apply a "handling" charge, but I don't know that for sure.

In either event - if you return it they have to refund your purchase price AND the entire shipping amount you paid.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Did you open a case yet? You have to do it sooner than later or the eBay people will think you are filing out of buyers remorse and the seller could claim you had the dress long enough to damage it yourself.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

It may be also if they are covering duties & some just what they want for shipping but b4 I know people used to list low for insert fee low & ask real price on shipping but ebay limits it now domestic usa shipping.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tried to politely message the seller instead. She did not respond. I messaged her again, and she responded very rudely, on the last day for me to open a case, that she already said she would refund bid only and not shipping. Because it was Christmas Eve, I did not get around to opening a case. This was the worst overall experience I've ever had buying on ebay. I wish I had followed my gut from the beginning. Is this a negative feedback scenario, or neutral only because she offered to refund the bid price and I neglected to open a case in a timely fashion?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #17
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows
I tried to politely message the seller instead. She did not respond. I messaged her again, and she responded very rudely, on the last day for me to open a case, that she already said she would refund bid only and not shipping. Because it was Christmas Eve, I did not get around to opening a case. This was the worst overall experience I've ever had buying on ebay. I wish I had followed my gut from the beginning. Is this a negative feedback scenario, or neutral only because she offered to refund the bid price and I neglected to open a case in a timely fashion?
The protocol eBay/Paypal would have required was for you to pay shipping to return the item, and then for her to refund the full purchase price (bid & original shipping). If you had been able to prove the item was misrepresented they may have reimbursed you for return shipping.

Since she only offered to refund part of it, I would personally leave negative feedback. Stating that the seller overcharged for shipping and sent a damaged item.

Last edited by BeccaSueCongdon; 12-31-2012 at 01:09 AM.