Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
beachbetty
Registered Users

Woven Wrap Preferences?

After trying out about 10 different types of carriers, I think I'm finally settled on a woven wrap. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the different brands and options. Are there major differences between the major brands? Is it more of a style preference? I've only ever tried an Ellevill, but I hear so much about Girasol and Didymos. Has anyone tried different brands and found significant differences between them?

Thank you for your help!

Advertisement

beachbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Re: Woven Wrap Preferences?

They do all differ slightly but IMO anything 100% cotton from any of those brands would make the perfect first wrap. They'll differ somewhat in thickness, width, and feel but IMO the biggest difference is going to be the type of weave ( flat vs a jacquard) All Girasols and Didy stripes are flat, smooth and are great for beginners. A jacquard is textured and wraps and feels different- grippy. Do you have a bwing group nearby where you could try something else?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Wanted to add that the only way to really know the differences is to try them all out. I've tried a lot and am still learning. It's all personal preference but really any wrap will work if you want it to especially if you don't plan on getting caught up in the bwing craze. All Girasols have the same weave so if you go with them pick a color way you like. For the other two I'd recommend a Didy stripes or Ellevill Zara
Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
angiepangie8298
Registered Users
seller

I got a Vatanai mostly because a lot of people said they are great warm weather wraps.

Other than that I really dont know anything else. I got an all cotton didymos to try as well..waiting for it to come in the mail.

So much to learn!!
angiepangie8298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
beachbetty
Registered Users

Thanks for the help! I do have a local babywearing group, that's actually where I borrowed the Ellevill from. I don't think they have others in the lending library but I can at least talk to the other mamas at the next meeting.

The explanation of the different weaves helps! There are so many options and brands it gets overwhelming. I just keep thinking that people have been babywearing for so long with whatever fabric they have on hand- surely whichever one I get will work fine. Maybe once I'm more of a wrap connoisseur the details will matter, but it's reassuring to hear that as a beginner pretty much any wrap will work. Thanks!
beachbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
snoggle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a Vatanai too. Heard great things about them, especially for a new wrapper with a newborn, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet since my baby is due next week. Have you checked out thebabywearer website? Lots of great info there. Check out some of the stickies about how to pick a wrap and ask people their opinions. A lot of it has to do with how old/big the baby you are carrying is. A bigger baby might be better with a wrap containing a lot of linen, since it is very supportive, but linen won't be as soft and pleasant for a newborn, as an all cotton wrap would be.

I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner but I work in Women's Health. Married to my DH since 2005. We love our menagerie of animals at Nutwood Farm.
snoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

I have several different brands, and yes there are differences between them! A 100% cotton vatanai does not feel the same as a 100% cotton dolcino. I think the main difference i notice so far is really more between different fabric contents though!
sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my storch leo marine!! It is the perfect wrap, super supporitave
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote