Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
The nurse gave me a unisom while I was in early labor with my 2nd. Big freaking mistake! Labor kicked in full force as the unisom started working. I was so sleepy and the pain was so hard the deal with! Just don't do it! It was the worst feeling ever!!

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathypie

But is that a good idea? What are all of the benefits and risk here? I wouldn't do it, and I have done it, except with Benadryl. They sent me home because my contractions "weren't strong enough" and when I told them I hadn't slept in 2 days they told me to take two Benadryl. I took them when I got home and 20 minutes after that my water broke. So there was no sleep for me. Luckily it didn't seem to effect me too badly because of adrenalin but still, it wasn't really a good idea and I wished I hadn't even bothered.

Look out for autocorrect!
Not in my opinion but just letting OP know it is very common and not such a crazy out there idea. I don't agree with nearly anything hospitals do routinely but the majority of America does...
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: taking a unisom in early labor if it starts at night?

I think the main thing here is to be familiar with whatever you plan to take. Don't take something without knowing how it personally affects you.

For instance, melatonin does absolutely nothing for me. Benedryl (same as unisom) works but sometimes gives me nightmares and leaves me groggy in the morning. Unisom II works like benedryl but stronger and without the nightmares. Ambien for me would be the best choice as it only lasts 4-5 hours.

In other words, if you plan on taking something, please try it before labor and don't take the word of someone here because stuff effects everyone differently. Of course Ambien is Rx only so you would need to get that from your doctor.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1961
I think the main thing here is to be familiar with whatever you plan to take. Don't take something without knowing how it personally affects you.

For instance, melatonin does absolutely nothing for me. Benedryl (same as unisom) works but sometimes gives me nightmares and leaves me groggy in the morning. Unisom II works like benedryl but stronger and without the nightmares. Ambien for me would be the best choice as it only lasts 4-5 hours.

In other words, if you plan on taking something, please try it before labor and don't take the word of someone here because stuff effects everyone differently. Of course Ambien is Rx only so you would need to get that from your doctor.
This is a very good point!
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote