Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
k_apple
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29

Yes, definitely. We have the same number of loads of laundry, because we wear the same amount of clothing (well, we try to wear shirts and jeans 2-3 times before washing if possible, as we don't do sweaty work or anything too messy). But the stuff going into the machine in truly dirty, and each piece of clothing in our wardrobes actually gets WORN . My closet (and those of my kids and hubby) is so neat and organized. We each have 10 long-sleeved shirts, 10 short-sleeved shirts, 5 pairs pants, 5 pairs shorts/capris, 10 pairs socks, 10 pairs underwear, 3 dressy winter outfits, 3 dressy summer outfits, a swimsuit, heavy coat, jacket, 2 pair pajamas, 1 pair casual shoes, 1 pair crocs, 1 pair dressy sandals, 1 pair dressy winter shoes, and 1 pair waterproof insulated boots. Everything is easy to find. Everything in season gets worn at least once every two weeks, so by the time the style dramatically changes or I am sick of the the item, it is usually totally worn out anyway. I can afford a bit nicer clothes, since there aren't so many, and plan on some pieces (like the boots) lasting for years.

I also spend less time cleaning and maintaining my home. I actually get asked on a regular basis if I have a cleaning service come in . Nope, and my kitchen floor hasn't been mopped in two weeks. Somehow when there isn't much clutter, things seem cleaner and more peaceful. My kids don't have many toys compard to others, but they play for hours with what they do have.

We are pretty minimalist in all areas, not just our stuff, but how we spend our time. Not many extracurricular activities, just long leisurely evenings together, enjoying our time as a family. When crises happen, they don't totally rock our world. We have the time and serenity to handle whatever is thrown at us.

Hope this helps
Thank you so much for sharing! This information is so helpful!

Advertisement

k_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Grant'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Becoming minimalist

Only unpack boxes of stuff you know you need. If you don't open the boxes after 6 months then most of the stuff inside is useless. I recommend giving every member of the family a tub (matching in my opinion) to put "keepsakes". I have my grandmothers unfinished quilts and deployment letter in a binder and our wedding memory box and hubby has his baby book and a metal box with all his little keepsakes and diploma. My son has one with his baby book and ultrasound pic book in it along with his first birthday mementos.The top box is photos. We have them all stacked in our storage closet

Last edited by Grant'sMommy; 01-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Grant'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
k_apple
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant'sMommy
Only unpack boxes of stuff you know you need. If you don't open the boxes after 6 months then most of the stuff inside is useless. I recommend giving every member of the family a tub (matching in my opinion) to put "keepsakes". I have my grandmothers unfinished quilts and deployment letter in a binder and our wedding memory box and hubby has his baby book and a metal box with all his little keepsakes and diploma. My son has one with his baby book and ultrasound pic book in it along with his first birthday mementos.The top box is photos. We have them all stacked in our storage closet
Great idea with the keepsake boxes!

I find that it's hard to get rid of all the boxed books... We have moved about 6 times in the last 3 years so our textbooks are in boxes. We decided to keep them because my dh is going back to schooling the fall and the info in my accounting textbooks never becomes outdated (hopefully study material for when I take my CPA exam, or of I go back to school as well). I probably should try to get rid of some of the text books though... we have a bit of a book addiction.
k_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Grant'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

We don't own any books (all digital on the iPad) but with textbooks i find them more useful selling them back to the school or on Ebay since having some money (save them in a separate account to use only for more textbooks) is better than a big anchor taking up space with "what ifs". Keep the really expensive ones you know will be used again (lots of professors don't use the same book) and the rest I would list em! Put the ones you like on a nice book shelf somewhere you have room.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow... Subscribing to this thread! I'm on a de clutter high right now, but I need to keep these awesome ideas in mind for when the high wears off.

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree, having one area completely how you want it is motivating for other areas.