Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to decide what toys are shared?

My boys share almost everything. They have special stuffed animals and they each have a DS and a tablet that they do not share. Other than that they have a handful of toys each that are owned personally and they each have a treasure chest but they mostly collect little stones and feathers in those. Toys that are given as gifts are usually played with by the recipient for a day or two and then they go into the shared collection unless there is something really special about the item. It just isn't a big deal to share here. Books are also shared the only thing that keeps them separated is reading level and interest. There are plenty of books Kearnan can read that Tharen can't and Kearnan isn't particularly interested in reading Tharen's early readers. They also have slightly different topic areas that interest them, Tharen prefers books about animals while Kearnan prefers dragon books but no one says "you can't read that book it is mine".

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everything is shared except Legos for now. I don't trust my girls to keep them in ds's room and I can't have them everywhere for baby to eat so they stay only for DS for now.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

As a general rule in our house ALL toys and books are shared. The kids know this and are used to it.

Minor exceptions:
-loveys are the sole property of the child attached to it (so DD's panda & HK plush and DS's elephant, dolphin, and turtle are soley theirs and do NOT have to be shared)
-when a toy is newly received, the child who received it gets to be the first one to play with it if s/he wants. After that, I set timers for turns if they can't figure it out on their own (most of the time this is unnecessary, but it solves/prevents most fights).
-paperback books that DD is using for reading practice (I Can Read - type books) are for her use only b/c DS is still young enough that he rips paperback books (unintentionally) so they are in a ziplock bag for her use. All other books are put on the bookshelf for either child to read/ask to have read to them.

We also do not have "boys' toys" and "girls' toys" in this house. "There is no such thing as boy toys or girls toys; they are just toys and EVERYONE can play with them" is a common refrain in our household, so DS plays with the kitchen, the dollhouse, and the fairy/princess costumes and DD plays with the train tracks, the basketball hoop, and the cars. We mostly have to use that saying when other kids come to our house to play, but DD also uses it at school when other kids tell her what she can/cannot play with b/c she is a girl. I'm adamantly opposed to restricting toys by gender. All toys are for everyone's use.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #34
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Everything goes in the playroom. The only things that are not available to the younger kids are the nicer books that can get torn and DS1s one set of big kid Legos. Those stay in his room because of all the small pieces
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote