Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

Bleach: safe for which diapers?

I have been cding for 2 years now. I have never bleached any of my diapers. I soak in cold water, vinegar and Bac-out, rinse, then wash with Charlie's soap and Biokleen Oxy booster, then triple rinse. For most of my diapers, this has worked fine.

For the past year or so, dd's overnight diapers smell of ammonia in the AM (Sandy's fitteds, stay-dry cotton liner and Thirsties hemp booster). I have tried rinsing them out before placing in the dry pail, which did seem to help a little, but lately it seems to be getting worse and worse, so she absolutely reeks of ammonia, I can even smell it at 4am.

I am also noticing that my Joey Bunz Premium hemp inserts and Babykicks hemp prefolds (same company) give off a bit of an ammonia odor after normal wear (3 hours). Nowhere near as bad as the overnights, but it's there.

I have seen advice on this board that ammonia smell is due to bacteria build-up and that bleach will take care of it. So, this AM I broke down and ran a load of all her diapers and inserts that give off an ammonia odor (the ones mentioned above) with 1/4 cup of bleach. However, I did not dare to bleach her AIOs or pockets, since they contain both PUL (which I was afraid would be damaged) and colors (which I didn't want to fade or have white splotches). I also didn't include my Thirsties Fab Doublers, because they have colors.

So, is this what you all do, run two separate loads of diapers when you want to bleach your white prefolds and fitteds? Or do you throw them all in together with bleach? If so, how does it affect the PUL and colors of your AIOs? What about colored (dyed) inserts or fitteds?

Thanks!

Advertisement

AHASRADA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bleach won't harm AIOs or the PUL. When I use bleach, I don't separate anything out - cotton and bamboo fitteds, BGEs, wipes, pail liner, fleece liners and hemp doublers. My PUL diapers have not faded nor do they have bleach spots. Bleach only affects natural fibers, so our colored wipes have faded.

We use bamboo fitteds at night and the only thing I found that took away the funky morning or faint ammonia smell was switching to Tide F&G. When I was using Charlies and country save, no matter how much bleach I used (was using every time I washed, washing every other day) I could never get our morning diapers to only smell like urine and nothing else in the morning. We have soft water and I would use a full scoop or more of Charlie's or CS and it just didn't cut it. I soo wanted to only use natural detergent in our home, but after a year of trying to get Allen's, Charlie's and then CS to get our morning diapers to smell "good" in the morning, I decided to try tide F&G and its been working very well on all of our laundry, diapers included.

ETA: I've always thoroughly rinsed out our night diapers and spray with bac out every morning.

Last edited by momma_dna; 01-02-2013 at 06:53 PM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bleach: safe for which diapers?

I bleach everything. It shouldn't affect PUL or prints.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bleach has only affected my wipes, wet bags (with print outer) and a couple fitteds with a cotton print on the outside. It doesn't affect any of my PUL or natural colored items.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bleach everything with no problems. I never soak in it though. PUL, prints, fitteds, AIO, wetbags, the occasional pants or toddler undies...never had an issue with bleach spots or anything ruined.

ETA: I never soak anything anyway though. I would try going without soaking because you're basically just soaking them in water mixed with urine and poop. I would rinse then hot wash with detergent and bleach then rinse. Extra rinse if necessary.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 01-02-2013 at 02:10 PM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only thing I don't bleach occasionally is stuff with a cotton print (other than wipes, I don't care about those). I have a couple of WAHM-made pockets and some GEN-Y covers that would be ruined if the cotton print fabric was bleached. I just pull those before bleaching the rest.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

cotton babies actually tells you to bleach every so often. It will not hurt anything.
You may need to switch detergents/wash routine. Or you may need to strip the diapers (blue dawn and lots of rinses).
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailey89
I bleach everything. It shouldn't affect PUL or prints.
This! Except it will fade natural fibers.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

I pre-rinse all the natural fibers. then pre-wash with bleach every time. then add pul & detergent then double rinse. I have a handful of pockets and AIOs and bleach them and they are holding up well. but If they start to wear then I will just hand rinse and drop them in with the PUL.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much, mamas. Amazingly, her overnight diap smelled like...nothing this AM! The bleach really worked! And to think we have been suffering through that ammonia stench for months, when the solution was that easy.

I appreciate the suggestion not to soak the diaps in dirty water--duh! Why didn't I think of that?! Instead of soaking then rinsing, I'll just reverse the process. So simple!

Although I trust you all that bleach is safe for PUL, I would prefer to reserve bleach for the diaps that seem to really need it. I like the idea of doing a bleach-only wash, then adding in the rest of the items for the actual wash with detergent.

You've given me some great ideas for mixing up my laundry routine!
AHASRADA is online now   Reply With Quote