Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Hunny Bunny Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: KalleS
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone measuring big for no reason??

Baby's position can have a lot to do with it. At my last midwife appt. I was measuring 36-37 cm at 34 weeks, but I am tiny and according to u/s baby is only in the 37th percentile. She said it was because he was breech and therefore was just up higher

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2theJs View Post
I don't worry about him being too big, I'm only wondering why the growth scan says he's only average when I'm measuring almost a month ahead! I wouldn't mind a big, chubby baby. )
Because they are inaccurate. Really anything after 24 weeks is a waste of time, albeit a great $$$ maker for the hospital though. A friend of mine just had a "huge, way overdue" baby at 42 weeks. Induced, failed to progress after almost 3 days of induction. Baby arrived yesterday - 6 pounds 9 ounces. Boy.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your uterus measurements have nothing to do with your weight gain. This is a third baby at least, right? It's always possible for the uterus to just go with it and get overly excited and blow up quicker than necessary. I was measuring at thirty-two weeks when I was twenty-eight weeks, but only thirty-three at thirty weeks, so because there was no other big jump (I have been measuring at two weeks ahead before that.), and it's leveling off with growth and actual week, we don't really suspect any problems. If I have another unexplained large jump, we'll probably get an ultrasound to check it out. I am not overly massive either and have "only" gained thirty pounds.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
3princesses+1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in a similar situation. At 34 weeks I was measuring 37 so went for a US which said the baby is already 6 lb 11 oz! All of my 4 other kiddos were over 8 lbs at birth, so I'm not really all that surprised but in previous pregnancies where I had US at 38 or 39 weeks they ended up being off by about a pound. As others have said, they aren't really accurate at this point in the game...just give a little more information that is all!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
lolson3
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't say that measurements are very accurate predictors of size, either. For both of my last 2 pregnancies (not this one though) I've measured 4-5 weeks behind causing my dr to get a little worried. U/s were fine and both were born at 40 weeks 7 lbs and 8 lbs. With the 7 lber the l&d nurse said (after baby was weighed) that he thought I looked like I was carrying a 5 lb baby.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

My 2nd child was estimated to weigh only about 8lbs just prior to a RCS at 39 wks. He was 10#, 6oz.

Needless to say I take these late U/S with a grain of salt!
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

Back to the doc today, and at 34 weeks 5 days, I measured 43 WEEKS!!!
Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2theJs View Post
Back to the doc today, and at 34 weeks 5 days, I measured 43 WEEKS!!!
I still wouldn't worry.
I have measured really big with all my pregnancies. Genetics can be mean to some of us at times. I look huge and get asked all the time if I'm carrying twins. I've learned this is just how by body carries babies.
The New Spring Catalog is HERE! For every $31 you spend in March get your choice of seven totes at 50% OFF! Thirty-One Gifts All DS mama's who host a catalog party with me earn DOUBLE in Free Hostess Credit. Looking to earn some extra money? Join my team in March and get your kit for FREE. Ask me how.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
hendrixbri
Registered Users
seller

I measured 40 weeks at my 35 week appointment. The doctor said he would have an ultrasound around 38 weeks to see how big of a baby we are dealing with on d-day but he didn't seem to concerned. He said that measuring of the uterus is relative-- and it's just a guide. He also said that an ultrasound is not a scale by any means and can be off as well... these are just the best tools we have to work with where we are right now. I wouldn't be concerned. My husband was 9 lbs 4 oz so I have a feeling this little guy will be big, too. All babies and bellies are different! Good luck!
hendrixbri is offline   Reply With Quote