Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
lilypond
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How did you decide? Maybe its too soon?

We want to do babylead with my son (just turned 6 mo) and he has been watching us eat and reaching for it and so we've tried giving him little tastes which he seems ok with but his tummy doesn't seem to be. He's had gas, constipation, and thick stools just from little licks of things here and there in the last 2 weeks. No actual feedings. Would you say its too soon or does his body just need to adjust? I'm not sure what the deal is and if I should just wait. I've always just done babyfood and cereal at 6 mo in the past. Didn't really pay attention.

Advertisement

Mom to J I N A L and with baby #6 due April 2015
lilypond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you decide? Maybe its too soon?

When doing baby led I believe people start a bit later. I started about 7-7.5 months. I ended up doing a little bit of homemade baby-ish food. I also tried softened larger foods but a bit later.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
abbmom
Registered Users
seller

With my second, he was throwing fits at the dinner table at 5 months so we let him start eating then. My first was around 7. Even before that I would let him gnaw on celery sticks or bell peppers (which he loved) with his little gummy mouth.

I would just listen to your mommy instinct. If you know things are going to upset him, I would hold off on those. If you know he is okay with some foods then let him have those. Does he just want to play with the food? Does he want to particpate? I would say just try different things until you are both comfortable.

Good Luck
abbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
ladybug12
Registered Users

I have the same problem! My daughter will stare at our food and be really excited about it, but once she actually has it her little tummy gets really upset. So we are going to go back to just oatmeal for another few weeks and try again then
ladybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Pumpkinnoodlemama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My little guy is ten months but not really interested in the baby food I make for him. He usually wants what I am eating, but doesn't have enough teeth yet to handle it.

He's my first baby and I'm finding it hard to know what to give him. Going to try introducing some textured foods now and see how it goes: lentils, black beans, etc.

Any other suggestions?
Pumpkinnoodlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If it is bothering his tummy I would hold off a month or two.

My mama said she started us out just sucking on a bone. So we would get the flavor and the idea but not much on the tummy.

My kiddie didn't really like pureed foods. Squished, chopped, ground yes but pureed no.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ten month old dd goes crazy over table food. She wants to try everything and will throw her bottle down if she sees you have food. This started at about 8 months and just has been more frequently. She must eat when you do if she sees it. she has never done baby food., just finger foods.

You will know when they are ready. My, baby will climb all over you to reach food. She eats broccoli, peas, avocado, banana, peaches, grapes, pasta,. Actually she eats everything.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinnoodlemama View Post
My little guy is ten months but not really interested in the baby food I make for him. He usually wants what I am eating, but doesn't have enough teeth yet to handle it.

He's my first baby and I'm finding it hard to know what to give him. Going to try introducing some textured foods now and see how it goes: lentils, black beans, etc.

Any other suggestions?

White beans are actually softer and easier for small babies with no teeth than black beans. Black beans are one of the tougher beans out there. I like to use them when I want something that holds shape and stands out like in beans and rice mix.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Beachmum31
Registered Users

asking maybe its too soon? means its too soon! trust your mama instinct!
Beachmum31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Kandii03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im pretty sure their poops will change with solid food anyway, and if he is consitapated, it is a matter of him getting used to it im sure. Our firstborn reacted the ame way when he was first intorcuced to solids. Our second child does the same as your as far as reachign for the food always staring. Im just starting solids too and he hates it luck though with ours he hasnt had many diffretn poops yet or constipation. I hope that yours gets passed that as he eats more, but perhaps wait a month or two to try. Good luck tryig to fidure things out mama. What works for one doesnt always work for another =(
Kandii03 is offline   Reply With Quote