Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Handwashing diapers

We live on a slab foundation in Massachusetts and our washing machine/dryer is in a closet off our kitchen that was not insulated when I house was redone before we bought it so when it gets freezing here we have issues with our washer and it give us an error message that tells us the incoming water line is frozen (yet it doesn't affect any other pipes, we get water everywhere else in the house fine). Last winter was mild so we didn't have to deal with it but it has been in the 20s during the day and low single digits at night/early morning this whole week and it seems it will be the trend for the upcoming week as well. Yesterday was fine but today the washers line is completely frozen and i tried several times throughout the day hoping it thawed a bit but no luck I use flats, prefolds, sbish snapless fitteds, PUL covers (thirsties and flip), fleece covers and pocket diapers (diaper rite bamboo, alva and bumgenius) and i use country save powder.I have a big order of the imagine bamboo flats on the way so I would have enough flats to rely on those alone...can i hand wash all of these? How?? Should I just stick to flats and covers to make hand washing easier? Walk me through this please!!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
willowmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Handwashing diapers

I would go with handwashing the flats and covers...the fleece covers and pocket shells usually dry pretty quickly too if you want to include them, but everything else would take forever to dry...I tried in a pinch before with prefolds and it took them twice as long to dry...that sounds sooo frustrating though mama! When I have had to handwash I fill the tub, about a baby bath amount, and put the detergent in the water...use less than for a load in the washer. let them soak for a bit, then just rub a couple together to help them get clean, going through each of them (a little extra attention to the poopy ones), of course, and then drain and refill a couple times swishing them around in the water to rinse...the wringing them out part is the part that is sort of time consuming...also would recommend wearing gloves for this as your hands will be very dry and possibly a little raw if you don't(mostly from wringing them out) good luck! I hope it warms up a bit there so you don't have to keep hand washing! My only other suggestion would be to put a space heater in there if you have one??
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I have seen favored way is tub & plunger. Some likedryers but mine haven't touched one in my posession. Only wipes & handmade inserts & refolds touch dryer 30 min on high.....
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never done it, but these two blog posts provide what looks like some great, detailed info on hand washing cloth diapers. Also, just for simplicity's sake, I would probably stick with just the flats and covers to make things easier.

http://www.theaccidentalwallflower.c...h-diapers.html

http://clothdiaperguru.wordpress.com...abin-giveaway/
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so helpful, ty ladies