Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
IV Zofran has always worked better for me than pill or ODT form, but IV hydration always makes such a positive difference for me. Would they be willing to get you fully hydrated first/in combination with the pump? I had a PICC line put in my arm after I blew every IV site in both hands & arms within a couple of weeks, and I had Zofran, Pepcid, multivitamin, and 3L of d5LR fluids that I carried around in a backpack with a pump that gave me a certain amount per hour. If I still vomited too much, I took Phenergan at night, too. I don't have experience with the Zofran pump specifically, just IVs. Just know that you can always try it, and if it's not for you, have them hydrate you, too. Good luck!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you have good insurance? I hope so I know not everyone has good (or any) insurance, but don't put off taking steps to help with hyperemesis because of cost, if that is a factor. Most places will do a payment plan if necessary, and you and baby need to be healthy.

(For example: Between my PICC line procedure, 3 months of 1-2x/weekly home nurse visits & dressing changes, all supplies, meds, fluids, etc, my home health bill was $48,000. Our Max out of pocket was $2000, though we should have been responsible for 10%. We were very lucky. I don't know what just the pump costs.)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody ever been on the Zofran pump?

As an aside, I know going to the hospital for IVs sucks, but if you do end up needing it, do it. I avoided it for so long this time, until a couple of weeks ago. I vomited just four times in six hours, but my body had been on the edge for so long that it put my ketones at 3+ and it took multiple bags to get them down again. I know it sucks, but don't make it worse than it already has to be.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

4 time HG momma and 2 time pump user here. If you're maxed out and have tried everything else, do the pump. Seriously. Having the maternal nursing service was amazing and I was under strict orders that any continuing nausea (after the adjustment period) was IV worthy. The nurses would show up at my home and get me set up. Pretty much all of the anti-nausea meds become less effective the more dehydrated you are. The constant dose of zofran in my system saved me. I too hate needles. HATE. But you get over it pretty fast because the relief is so very worth it. With my 3rd pregnancy, I was on it 2 1/2 months. I really waited too long and was nearly at the point where I actually couldn't eat. This time, I got started a lot sooner and had one at 6-7 weeks. I was on it for 4 months and lost nearly 30 lbs the first month. I never had an infection, and found that 12 hour site changes were much better than 24. A warm bath and gentle massage of a previous site pretty much ensured that the site would be pretty much gone by the next day.

Anyway, I know the pump seems scary but it's really not. Trust me, it can be your best friend! Pm me if you want to talk!
calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, if you aren't keeping fluids down, you need to have your keystones checked ASAP! That can and will affect the baby if left untreated as well as your organs. I was always at 4+ keystones and every time, they put me in the hospital. My shortest stay was with this baby and was 3 nights. Longest stay was 9 nights. This time they did not hospitalize me before the pump and even with the pump, had to be hospitalized for fluids...so sometimes you have to get on to of it and it will help a ton!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I was on it my 2nd pregnancy and skipped it this pregnancy. I stuck myself with a small IV every 3 days it had to be changed. I still had to go get fluids in the er as zofran didn't help me. It was covered 100% by ins that time. This pregnancy it was going to cost $40 a day and since it didn't help last time I just kept on with my pills.