Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

umbillical hernia caused by pregnancy... anyone have experience with this?

I am pretty sure I have a small (pea sized) umbillical hernia.

This is my 4th pregnancy. I've always had a funky looking half in, half out belly button. And it has changed a little with each pregnancy. But now I noticed an extra protrusion to the right of my belly button, about the size of a pea.

I am pretty confident it's a hernia. It's a little tender if I touch it, and I can actually FEEL a bead type shape of tissue under the bulge, so it is definitely separate from my belly button....

anyway, anyone with any experience? I'm currently googling and reading up on it. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences...

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
romansmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just had my umbilical hernia repaired by a general surgeon during my repeat c/s on 12/20. Mine was about quarter size & very painful until about 20+ weeks of pregnancy. The added surgery was really quick and the recovery has been easy. The first few days were painful but I couldn't distinguish between the c/s incision or hernia repair and the normal pain meds took care of it. My Dr gave me an abdominal binder to wear which has been nice for support.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: umbillical hernia caused by pregnancy... anyone have experience with this?

I've never had any surgery of any kind. Not even stitches. I am really hoping that since it is so small, I won't need any repair to it. But it is kind of painful, and after looking at pics, it seems I've always had an umbillical hernia, and the pressure from the pregnancy has caused it to grow.... So that makes me wonder if I do actually need something done to fix it.

I have an appt with my MW next week, so I'll show her and see what she says. Hoping no surgery is necessary..... ugh
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one, got it from my first pregnancy and gets worse each time. After dd3 was born I literally had to sometimes push intestines back in. It is painful, and I will need surgery. I have been told I should wait until I am all done having kids though. The way I carry is all out in front of me, and it would just happen again.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

I have a large umbilical hernia. It started with my first child, and I'm now 35 weeks with my third. It's gotten worse each time. Now it's about the size of a softball, and I will have to ahve surgery to repair it when I'm not preggers. One as small as yours will not need repaired. Mine caused me no problems until this pregnancy and that's because it's gotten so large.
Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I got an umbilical hernia during my 4th pregnancy about 6 weeks before my due date (should never have lifted boxes of drinks from Sam's Club). It was very tender and very painful (I actually called the on call doctor that evening because of so much pain and then went in the next morning... never have done that in 4 pregnancies!). There is nothing that can be done for it during pregnancy. The doc told me to avoid lifting as much as possible (with 3 kids, 4 and under, that was hard) and that the sharp injury pain would subside in 3 to 4 days. It did, but was still very tender up until delivery. I also overdid it somedays and got sharp pains when that happened that would take 2 days to heal from.
My amazing doc repaired it during my c-section (that part didn't take tons of time, but the c-section was very long because of scarring). I couldn't distinguish the repair from the c-section pain during recovery.

Try very hard not to lift too much would be my advice.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote