Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone work out?

I have an elliptical in my house and I never work out. SIGH. And I've been WAH (freelancing) this month since community college hasn't started back yet. I think I have the mentality that I should be working the whole day instead of taking breaks. If I do take breaks, it's to watch half an episode of Dexter and eat a burrito.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
1healthylady
Registered Users

I've just started running after work. It's not much, only about 20 mins right now since I'm just getting back into it, but it's a run. I would much rather be one of those crazies that works out in the morning. I've always been a morning work out kinda person. But as it is I wake up at 5am and I'm not going any earlier! I have never been good at after work workouts because there are just too many excuses, but hopefully not going home first will help me stick to this plan. Plus I have more running buddies if I go after work.

Is there a reason DH doesn't cook? Could you have him in the kitchen helping you for a couple months so he learns a little bit around the kitchen? I would not be a happy wife if he was home all day and didn't cook dinner. DH and I mostly cook together and we've both learned a lot by cooking together. That's also 'our' time to talk about our days and stuff. Taste of Home has an excellent Crock Pot meals cook book and I just got a new Casserole Queens Cook book. Both of those could work so all he has to do is plug in the crock pot or stick a casserole in the oven. The Casserole one has a bunch of freezer friendly meals too, so you could get some 'cooking' done on the weekend and free up some of your evening.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady View Post
Is there a reason DH doesn't cook? Could you have him in the kitchen helping you for a couple months so he learns a little bit around the kitchen? I would not be a happy wife if he was home all day and didn't cook dinner.

What are his hours? Is the daycare way out of his way to work? Could he help with the drop offs and pick ups?

I still think your schedule makes it really hard to actually work out. Even if you get up early, you'll see something else you need to do, and by the time you start your workout, one of the kids is waking up. For a few years at least your life is not your own. But, as the kids get older it gets much easier.

I do wonder though if your husband can pitch in a little more. Even if it's just to get dinner started, or heated or something.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

It's winter. The city is still working on clearing the 45 cm of snow that fell on Dec 27th. There's no running right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady View Post

Is there a reason DH doesn't cook? Could you have him in the kitchen helping you for a couple months so he learns a little bit around the kitchen? I would not be a happy wife if he was home all day and didn't cook dinner. DH and I mostly cook together and we've both learned a lot by cooking together. That's also 'our' time to talk about our days and stuff. Taste of Home has an excellent Crock Pot meals cook book and I just got a new Casserole Queens Cook book. Both of those could work so all he has to do is plug in the crock pot or stick a casserole in the oven. The Casserole one has a bunch of freezer friendly meals too, so you could get some 'cooking' done on the weekend and free up some of your evening.
He's home all day but he works full-time. He's connected to the office via internet and phone. He's not self-employed. Only working from home.
He will cook some really (really really) simple things. If I leave him really explicit instructions he will cook. But he has not even the basic understanding of cooking and no inititative in learning. I've been trying for years. It's not going to happen. Every now and then I can get him to do eggs etc, pasta with jarred sauce or heat something pre-prepared. So yeah, sometimes he can do that. Not on a regular basis - he doesn't know more than a handful of meals that he can make without me prepping him. It doesn't save all that much time to be honest. I still have to tell him what to make and how to make it. I still have to do all the shopping. If there's instructions I have to write them out, and run them by him to make sure it's all clear. I don't have time in the morning to do this. So I would end up spending just as long each evening prepping tomorrow's meal as I do just make supper when I get home.

We don't have a big freezer and have no where to put one. I can make some meals ahead but even that takes time. I guess if I'm more motivated and organized I can manage to make 1-2 freezer meals for the week ahead. At least on the weekends when we're not away.

Plus DD is allergic to dairy so the majority of simple, easy recipes don't work for us without modification. And modifications blow his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
What are his hours? Is the daycare way out of his way to work? Could he help with the drop offs and pick ups?

I still think your schedule makes it really hard to actually work out. Even if you get up early, you'll see something else you need to do, and by the time you start your workout, one of the kids is waking up. For a few years at least your life is not your own. But, as the kids get older it gets much easier.

I do wonder though if your husband can pitch in a little more. Even if it's just to get dinner started, or heated or something.

It wouldn't make sense for him to do daycare drop off and pickup. We don't have a second car. It would take 1.5-2 hours to do one or the other using public transit. Both would take 3-4 hours out of his day. Daycare is on campus at the university, not near our house. (And no switching is not an option either - daycare spots here have 2-3 year waiting lists).

We've worked out that he's going to have the car one day a week and I'll use transit to get to work that day so that the kids can do their swimming class. But we can't do that all the time. The car is a requirement for my job. I have home visits to do. One day a week where I schedule only office work is possible. More than that wouldn't be.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
MomMe3
Registered Users

I have three kids and work-full time outside of the home, and have my own business. I'm responsible for all drop-offs and some pick-ups for one of my kids, and we have four days a week of lessons for dfiferent kids (we have a total of 4 in the house). Suffice it to say, I'm super busy!

I have a gym membership but I generally workout at home. Sometimes I do it as soon as I come home while DH is cooking dinner and the older kids are doing homework (after I've nursed LO and she's calm). Somtimes it's after everyone's in bed, or sometimes it's before everyone gets up, or while the kids are playing. Sometimes the kids do it with me and the baby just kind of wanders around and I talk to her and make it a game.

I have different programs that I do that range from 20 - 60 minutes in length, so if I'm short on time I'll do HIIT (high intensity interval training) to get a maxium bang for my buck. When I go to the gym, I usually go on weekends and then at night after bed. It's just too hard with a still nursing baby to go before work, but I can get up and workout at home since I don't have to get dressed or even brush my hair to do it!

My preference is to get it done first thing in the morning so I get it out of the way and it's not something that's looming over my head, but that's not always possible. I also coach fitness accountability groups where I help others reach their fitness goals through at-home programs which helps force me to stay on track. There are lots of other moms who struggle with making the time.

Here's my suggestion:

It seems really hard to find the time, but it's there. Maybe make larger meals two nights a week and then have leftovers the next day or have simple sandwiches and salad for dinner 2x a week. Workout on the leftovers/sandwich nights so you don't have to worry about your DH cooking.

Do you watch TV at night after the kids go to bed? One night a week workout instead. Even your most favorite shows are generally available to watch after online.

Workout first thing in the morning on Saturday and Sunday. That already gives you five days without putting too much strain on your DH. You can to it, mama!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I leave the house for work at 6:30am and after picking up DD, I'm home by 5:30pm. Usually, I'm the one who makes dinner. DH takes DD to daycare and gets home from work at 6:30 pm, so it doesn't make sense for him to make dinner, because we wouldn't be eating til well after DD's bedtime. I'm not the kind of person to get up early to do anything, and getting up early to exercise is just out of the question for me. I will exercise late at night, but that's been tough with a nursing toddler who only up until recently would get up 1.5 hours after going to sleep. I also find that I'd rather clean a messy house than exercise in the evening.

Cause I'd rather spend time with DD, I squeeze my exercise in where I can. I do whatever it takes to get my heartrate up. At work, I'll take the stairs up to to the 7th floor. I do lunch time hikes. When DD and I go to the park, instead of sitting on the bench, I'll do some situps, jumping jacks, and pretend to skip rope while DD climbs the jungle gym. Sometimes we just kick a ball and I'll run extra hard around her. I'lll "accidently" kick the ball really far so that I can sprint to go retrieve it. Othertimes, DD is drawing with chalk on the front steps, so I do lunges and skip rope while we hang out.

Last edited by Shimpie; 01-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
BCsMom
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I think you have to balance the stress of finding the time with the actual workout - if it's going to be too tough on everyone to find time to exercise, then it may actually not be worth it...

That said, I started run commuting. A couple times a week, I run from home to daycare to pick up DS. This works for me because it's only 5.5 miles from work to daycare, and then a 15 minute walk home from there, and I only have the one child.

Can you look into some simple fixes? Like someone else mentioned, park as far away as possible any time you drive somewhere - you'll get extra walking. Can you get a balance ball for your desk at work? Can you get a small set of weights for at home just to do some strength exercises while watching TV or similar?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
diymotherhood
Registered Users

Working out is so hard to fit in even if you are a stay-at-home Mom. I recently read an article about this. Instead of calling it exercise or working out we should call it movement. And then try to do something that's fun, like running in the park, flying a kite or dancing with the kids. This way it's not a big get up - get into exercise clothes - work-out - and shower kind of thing, but just part of life. For busy Moms that's probably the best way to move and the movement is what our bodies need every day.

Your schedule sounds pretty crazy busy. Maybe in the evening you can have some time with the kids and wrestle or dance or whatever and when it gets nicer outside you can play ball or something. Use the weekend to do something fun, too. And don't call it exercise. No one ever has time for that. ;-)
diymotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I too work full time. I'm up at 5:20 am, drop kids off at daycare at 7, work 8-4, pick kids up from daycare, get home at about 5:20 (depending on traffic), cook dinner, eat, put kids to bed at 7:30-8:00 pm.

It's very difficult to find the time. To make it easier, DH and I split up the nightly tasks of kids and kitchen. That way we are both done at around the same time. Then, we workout together, hop in the shower quickly, and watch an episode of something on tv. It's crazy hectic, but we make it work.

Some things that have made it easier are to make very simple dinners (scrambled eggs and toast, Mac n cheese, stir fry with pre-cut veggies, etc.). That way there are less dishes and clean up to do. Also, if I feel pressed for time, I just do a short video. Finally, if I really just don't feel like it, then I don't do it.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
mkrisel
Registered Users

I really use weekend mornings. I get up around 7:00 and run. Our oldest likes to sleep in and isn't up until 8:00 or later usually.
My goal is to go to the gym at least one weeknight. I've only been back at work for 1.5 weeks, and my mom (who is usually daycare) has been out of town. So I haven't figured that out. But the crock pot is quickly becoming my best friend. I get everything in it before going to bed and put the pot in the fridge. Then I turn it on in the morning. I then have very little to do to get dinner ready.
Good luck!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote