Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby led Weaning - No Baby Foods or Puree's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3luv View Post
I could see doing this with things like bananas or soft table food for an older baby. However, I am not brave enough to try it with all the foods the gurus suggest for younger babies. I respect the moms that have tried it sucessfully though.

We started at 6 months. In the month we have done it, my DS (no teeth) has had lots of foods and loves them. I steam most things until they are really soft and he gums them very well. We have done squash, pumpkin, carrots, avocado, bananas, apples, pears, sweet potato, peas, beef stew with no beef for him. I was nervous about it at first, but I watch him closely. He has gagged a few times, but never choked. When he has gagged, it just brings the food up, he chews it and that is that. I will say that regarding the carrots, I steam the baby ones and the thicker ones I cut in half.

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I guess I need to do some research about this. Ive given my 6mo a carrot, apple, celery just to chew on (teething) but he seemed to love it. One concern of mine is allergies. We are seeing an allergist on Wednesday because he broke out in hives after touching PB. How do I know what he is reacting to exactly if I give him our food?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
tracyleigh00
Registered Users
seller

My DD just turned 6 months and I'm just learning about this. I didn't know about BLW when my older 2 kids were little (12 and 9 now). What is "the best" website for learning about it?
tracyleigh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
BlessedMommy4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is there really any info in the book that you need? It seems like a pretty simple concept.
BlessedMommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
BabyZmo
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's what I'm doing with my daughter. She was only breastfed from birth, and then when she started really wanting and trying to grab at my food at meal time, I would give her some. I sometimes mash it up but mainly just experiment with whole food. Usually bigger things work for me, instead of small soft stuff, which she is more likely to choke on. Anything you can smash between your fingers, your LO can chew. Also, I say give them the option of using fingers or a utensil _ both are great for learning. Just learn baby heimlich and keep a sippy cup full of water nearby. Trial and error is best I think, bc all babies are so different. It's definitely not necessary to use baby food or pureed stuff.
BabyZmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
ZoenSpots
Registered Users

We will be doing the BLW when she is old enough. I have been recommended the BLW cookbook instead of the book just about BLW. I'm interested more in the recipes than the concept as it's pretty straight forward. Gagging is part of the process, but that is what people sometimes have a hard time with. My mother could never do it. lol she freaks about everything.
ZoenSpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
You dont need recipes. You just serve your baby slightly modified versions what you are eating. You just need to make sure the pieces are finger shaped and long enough for them to grasp.
If they cant pick it up themselves they arent ready or just need more practice.
If you eat alot of pre-prepared foods tben you will have problems. They are usually too high in salt. Strong flavours never botherd my BLW babies. Curry and chilli were a favourite by 8 months old. They could also eat soup very early on.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did "textbook" BLW. DD never had a puree or baby food.

At six months we started her with french fry sized pieces of whatever we were eating. For the first several weeks, she just put them in her mouth and chewed them and then spit them out. It took a bit for her to get used to swallowing (she only gagged once). She was never spoon fed, we let her dip into softer foods (yogurt and applesauce).

Her first meals were things like sweet potato wedges, chicken, roasted veggies, etc. After that, she just ate whatever we ate (watching the salt content of course).

She is now 2.5 and is the least picky eater I know - she loves EVERYTHING!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
Jellyjellybean
Registered Users

I didn't do BLW with DS1 but I'm excited to try it this time!
Jellyjellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
mdm2137
Registered Users
seller

We just started with BLW. It's hard not to panic when they pick up a piece of food, but so far so good. She gags some, which is normal. So far I've stuck with fairly soft things anyway (banana, green beans, sweet potatoes).
mdm2137 is offline   Reply With Quote