Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: RLR Disaster Help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post
Thanks y'all!

To the poster who said, "Wash until the bubbles are gone"...I have NEVER HAD BUBBLES! I don't have them with my regular detergent or even with the dreaded RLR. :-(

I have a F/L...so how does that work with adding a squirt of Dawn?

I know I sound like a spoiled child, but at this point, I really hate to add ANOTHER mix of soap/additive to the mix when the first two were such disasters. :-(

I am doing "regular" laundry now, but am open to rinsing like there is no tomorrow this weekend. Since I have never had bubbles, how many more washes/rinses would y'all do? Also, our hot water IS set on HOT...so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thank yoU!

Mrs B

WOW - no suds with RLR. My guess is that your water is really hard.

I'd do the dawn stripping. For a FL I just put a little squirt into the detergent compartment. You should definitely see bubbles with the Dawn.

I would also use a little bleach to make sure that everything is killed in those diapers that would potentially be causing the rash.

Do the diapers smell like anything?? When they are soiled?

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
McDMom
Registered Users

Plus, its not that Bac Out was/is eating his skin. Its likely he has a sensitivity or allergy to something in the BacOut. The enzymes in it don't eat healthy living cells and are killed by hot water anyway.
http://econutssoap.com/enzymes-mythbusted/

Last edited by McDMom; 01-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.
McDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My guess would be not necessarily hard water, but not enough water in the FL to make bubbles.

I would bet money that, as I said above, it's a residue issue and I'm even more sure of that now that you said you have a Front Loader.

I would seriously consider a bath tub full of hot, hot water to soak all the fitteds in to try to break up and remove some of that residue. OR, better yet, see if you can borrow a top loader and I bet you anything you'll have a load of bubbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
WOW - no suds with RLR. My guess is that your water is really hard.

I'd do the dawn stripping. For a FL I just put a little squirt into the detergent compartment. You should definitely see bubbles with the Dawn.

I would also use a little bleach to make sure that everything is killed in those diapers that would potentially be causing the rash.

Do the diapers smell like anything?? When they are soiled?

Last edited by Spunkify; 01-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
mrsbernstein
Registered Users

Thanks y'all!

For the most part, we only have the "barn yard" after he pees. MOST of my diapers have NO stinky pre-use. A few do if you smell really hard...but it's not like they knock you over. It's pretty subtle. And not ALL of them.

My mom has a TL, but it's an H/E, so not good there.

We already know that Eds has several sensativities, which is why I'm not open to trying more/different stuff at this moment. I just want to FIX what I've already broken. Our current laundry detergent (for better or worse to his diapers) seems to work very well for his skin.

I can do a tub soak this weekend with NO additives. For the bleach, would this bypass everything else? Or this in "addition-to"?

Thank you!

MrsB
mrsbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have an HE top loader and have used it for a year CDing with zero issues. Going to your Moms is worth a shot. I always do a hot soak/no spin for at least an hour before washing to get the diaper nice and heavy. Then I hot wash in a whites cycle with an extra rinse (I add 4 Tbsp of bleach to every wash and have bright colored diapers). Dawn doesn't really work well for us (everything smells like dawn even after 9 rinses) but that small amount of bleach just gets them clean.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
My guess would be not necessarily hard water, but not enough water in the FL to make bubbles.

I would bet money that, as I said above, it's a residue issue and I'm even more sure of that now that you said you have a Front Loader.

I would seriously consider a bath tub full of hot, hot water to soak all the fitteds in to try to break up and remove some of that residue. OR, better yet, see if you can borrow a top loader and I bet you anything you'll have a load of bubbles!
I think it is probably both. I used 1/4 a packet of RLR in my FL once - I have super soft water. I had bubbles to the top of the FL. To even be able to open the door to get the diapers out it took 5 or 6 rinses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbernstein View Post
Thanks y'all!

For the most part, we only have the "barn yard" after he pees. MOST of my diapers have NO stinky pre-use. A few do if you smell really hard...but it's not like they knock you over. It's pretty subtle. And not ALL of them.

My mom has a TL, but it's an H/E, so not good there.

We already know that Eds has several sensativities, which is why I'm not open to trying more/different stuff at this moment. I just want to FIX what I've already broken. Our current laundry detergent (for better or worse to his diapers) seems to work very well for his skin.

I can do a tub soak this weekend with NO additives. For the bleach, would this bypass everything else? Or this in "addition-to"?

Thank you!

MrsB
The barnyard stink is generally - the laundry needs more detergent issue. Did you already say how much you are using?

I would strip with the Dawn, wash it with some bleach.

Bac-Out gave my kids rashes as well. Which is a bummer because it is made locally, available everywhere and at a good price.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

barnyard. really, throw them in the bathtub. soak. agitate/stir. soak again. just plain water. ('ve had overnight barnyard dipes-- for me, each November)

this way you get a real rinse to try (while you catch up on laundry) and aren't adding anything new.

(if you feel comfortable with bleach, do a bleach wash, extra rinse-- then throw them in the bath tub with a lot of water--- this is what I would do)

Last edited by c&w's mama; 01-04-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: underlining was a bit too emphatic
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Mollysmomma
Registered Users

No suds for me in my RLR wash either. And I just have a regular top load machine.
Mollysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #29
One Acre Wonder Farm
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737

The barnyard stink is generally - the laundry needs more detergent issue. Did you already say how much you are using?

I would strip with the Dawn, wash it with some bleach.
This.

When we got the barnyard stink I had to up the amount of detergent I used and add a bit of bleach in each load (hard water, ancient top loader). I bought RLR but never had to use it because the tweaks to my regular laundry routine worked.
One Acre Wonder Farm is offline   Reply With Quote