Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone cd without a washer & dryer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali View Post
I use a Haier washer I connect to our kitchen sink and hang dry. I would hate to handwash, but this works really well for us.
how long have you used the haier washer?? we also live in apt and have a diaper service wash ours for $14/wk. with 2 LOs, we have lots of dipes to wash and only get service 2x a week, so we are mainly nat fibers like flats and pf's. we tried pockets for a while (dh's fav) but with 40+ pockets sitting 3 days they were getting stink issues even after thorough washing. i hope to just padfold flats when dd turns one this summer and for my ds at 2 yo, no more ebf/loose poo!

flats are easiest to hand wash and i think we'll stop diaper washing service this summer, just use flats and wash in the apt washer/dryer once a week, it'll cost $5 for a full wash routine, but with the undependable economy and sahm, that's the best option, better than sposies still.

Advertisement

Last edited by vansen19; 01-04-2013 at 10:30 AM.
vansen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
LRL
Registered Users
seller

We also use a Haier, and it gets them super clean! We mostly line dry but occasionally use the pay dryer in our building. We are about to sell our place and I told DH I may keep the Haier in addition to a washer/dryer when we buy a new place. That's how much I love mine! (You can pick one up on Craigslst).
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I'm going to have to check the Haier out.
lashon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Kala
Registered Users

You ladies are awesome! I've never heard of a Haier washer and it's a perfect solution for us! We live in a small cabin and the previous owners didn't have any kind of hookup for a washer. Plus the only space we have for it is in the basement and I REALLY don't want to have to run down to the basement all of the time with my 8 month old son. This sounds perfect! Thank you!!
Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Katiebug_1976
Registered Users
seller

It might not be fun, but my mom used a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger as her "hand washer". Just cut a hole in the middle of the lid to insert the plunger handle through. Good luck
Katiebug_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
mommy2babybean
Registered Users
seller

I too live in a building where we have to pay to wash our clothes Our first baby is coming this spring and I am super committed to cloth diapering because of the chemicals in diapers and the finances of purchasing disposables that don't have those chemicals. My plan in to wash every other day (about 3 times a week). I plan on rinsing them before I take them down to wash, washing them and line drying them. That is why we are mainly using prefolds and flats. I do have a few pockets but those are mainly for grandparents house . I also have the option of taking all my diapers to my mom's for a thorough cleaning 2 times a month or more if I need to.
mommy2babybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For hand washing I would only go for flats. But I don't know what you'd do for a night time diaper, though. At least for my kiddo flats would never hold all of that pee.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebug_1976 View Post
It might not be fun, but my mom used a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger as her "hand washer". Just cut a hole in the middle of the lid to insert the plunger handle through. Good luck
that is AWESOME, go mama!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

We are buying a new home and won't have a w/d for a few months while we save, but I plan to handwash. I use pockets now, but will use ONLY my prefolds and covers until the new washer gets here (hopefully it will force Dh not to drag his feet). But I will be using the bathtub, and hanging in the yard or inside by a window.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found a website that has a mobile washer here http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MC%20W050. It's suppose to work better than a washer. My hubby was thinking the landlord wouldn't allow the use of a portable washer since we won't be paying for water. I've decide to switch all of my prefolds to bamboo prefolds. They are trimmer and only take about 8 to 9 hours or maybe less to air dry. I just boiled two imagine bamboo prefolds I received the other day and hung them up to dry around 4 or 5 I think. When I woke up around 2am they were already dry. Also they were still soft even after air drying them.

Last edited by lashon20; 01-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.
lashon20 is offline   Reply With Quote