Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
bandaidnurse
Registered Users
seller

Need help...question about flats and hand washing.

I am working with our church to send a shipping container of supplies to a couple in south Africa who are running an oranization to helping to improve the living conditions of children in a squatter camp living in poverty. One of the items they requested is cloth diapers. They said no one can afford disposable diapers and they have no access to washing machines.

I use cloth, but I use pockets and some prefolds. I don't think either would hand wash well. Does anyone have experience with flats or handwashing? I would appreciate any advice on what brands, styles would work well and places to find them at good prices. We don't have a whole lot of money to work with and I want make as much of an impact as I can.

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

bandaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

There has been a "flats challange" done the last few years where mamas handwash flats for a week. You may try and dig up one of those threads. Lots of mamas simply buy a bunch of flour sack towels to participate. I think you can sometimes buy them in bulk at SAMs club.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help...question about flats and hand washing.

ditto on getting white flour sack towels from sam's club or walmart, they are usually $1/ea and about 27x28" after washing. easy to hand wash, bleach and dry. another mama recently suggested a 5 gall bucket with handle and lid with hole cut on top for a plunger to use as a washer/agitator. i bet these supplies would be easily donated, you could create cloth diaper bucket donations (flour sack towels, pins, gerber/dappi pull on covers, wipes), have everything prepped/washed and ready to go inside bucket to bucket! gerber/dappi are cheapest covers, $2-3 each. if you want to get PUL/TPU covers, ebay might have wholesale wrap covers at that same pricing $2-3/ea. best!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
SweetKendall
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did the flats and handwashing challenge last year and did at PP mentioned. I had a mix of flannel receiving blankets and flour sack towels from Target and both worked just fine. I washed them in a 5 gal bucket with a plunger with holes drilled in it to agitate everything. I really liked my Flip and Econobum covers for handwashing. But I'd think any thin exposed PUL or Gerber/Dappi pull on type would be fine too.

Baby number two finally due Feb 2016
SweetKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
luvcheer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Flats and PUL covers would be awesome! I used to bring flats and econobums/flips when traveling and would handwash at night in a sink. They handwash and dry so easily.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
luvcheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
bandaidnurse
Registered Users
seller

Thanks to all who have replied! I love the cloth diapering bucket kit idea and would not have thought of flour sack towels. I am excited to start getting stuff together!
bandaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote