Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Pink84
Registered Users
seller

Car seat for 4 year old

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

Our (just turned) 4 year old is currently in a Britax Marathon. He is 44 7/8in tall & weighs 43lbs. My understanding is that he will outgrow the Britax at 49 in. (We will need to save and budget for another car seat if its more than $100.) So, we are wondering what the next step will be. (He has grown an inch since October.) At this rate will he be able to move to one of those inexpensive boosters or would you go with something different? Still a 5 point harness?

Advertisement

Pink84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Car seat for 4 year old

Try a Graco Nautilus.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Try a Graco Nautilus.
This is what we have for my almost 5 yo.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
There is a car seat section in the parenting section, but I'll try to help you out. Height restrictions on car seats are largely guidelines, as different children are built in different ways. A forward facing seat is outgrown when the tops of the child's ears are over the shell or when the straps are coming out from below his shoulders. that may come before or after the height that the seat states, depending on his build.

There is no scientific evidence that a forward facing harnessed seat is any safer than a booster seat with one major caveat - the child has to be mature enough to sit properly in the seat, something that's not an issue in a harness as it makes the child sit right. While I'm sure there are some four year olds with that maturity, most aren't ready until 5 or 6.

If it looks like it's going to be a bit, he can probably go into a booster, but if he's going to come out of the seat soon, I'd spring for a combination seat, like the secure kid, the nautilus, Argo or frontier.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Car seat for 4 year old

Becca (Computermama) gave you good information.

Harmony also came out with a combination seat recently that is worth a look. (Combination seats are the ones that can be used with a 5 point harness and then later with the adult seatbelt as a belt-positioning booster).
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote