Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #41
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In the later years if MFW you touch dinosaurs again. In first and creation to Greeks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #42
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Dec 31-Jan 13

Ok, thank you. :smile:
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

I've never done the check in thing, but I'd like to start

We started up again Thursday, sort of. We made some supplies together for the new semester, and I integrated some stuff into that.

I got our curriculum planned for all of January. I'm changing some of the way we do things. We're doing patterns and fractions in math, basic physics concepts in science (mostly for fun), all the usual for reading and writing, and we're starting some spelling with ASCI. We didn't do any formal spelling last semester, but DD hasn't really retained much for spelling concepts, so we're going to start.

We're most excited about social studies... we made 'passports' and an around the world treasure box. We are doing a country a week. I'm really excited to see how it goes!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #44
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Looking forward to starting back up in the morning. One main goal I have is to get math done with the boys. Before we took our break, we ended up slacking a bit and I'm not happy with that.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did a fairly regular day today. I cannot wait until we are done with this new reading stuff. I think Keegan is getting worse.

The kids have been enjoying signing time. They told DH we were learning it so we wouldn't have to talk to each other anymore, lol.

We need to be doing more in math. Right now it seems like my kids already know the stuff we are supposed to be working on (most recently measuring and graphs), so instead of finding something that they do need to learn we've just not been doing math. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to look into anything though...after all, if they already know the material then they aren't behind. But we aren't progressing either.

Is anyone else already starting to look forward to buying curriculum for next year? I probably shouldn't be, but I am!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #46
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Urg...first day back... Lonng day.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
croark
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Is anyone else already starting to look forward to buying curriculum for next year? I probably shouldn't be, but I am!
I think this is a really good time of the year to start thinking about next year's curric if your school year starts in the Fall. Get a jump on buying before summer and take advantage of any sales.
We start our new year in January but I constantly think about curric and what we'll be doing next. I think it's fun! I love curric shopping.

We had a decent day today. I added my 6 yr old back in since I got the 10 yr old straightened and working independently last week. I was surprised to learn that DD6 knew the name of the letters better than I thought. So now it's time to crack down on their sounds. She knows some sounds but def not all. She also done great on her +1 facts so I'm really happy with her progress for now.
DD10 only complained a bit today. So that's a good day ;-)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #48
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'm pregnant and really tired! Plus the kids here don't go back to school til tomorrow so I used that as an excuse to stay out of the classroom today. But we did read a magic tree house together and talked a bit about history, traditions, legends and read a native American legend. So well log a couple hours for today anyway

I'm also thinking about next years curriculum but finding it so overwhelming right now.
Do you mamas with first graders use a history curriculum? I'm kinda reading on sotw and moh but not sure if I like either yet.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #49
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

What grade do you all start spelling and grammar? What do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
croark
Registered Users
seller

I'm not going to start grammar and spelling until DD6 is starting to read well. 2nd or 3rd grade for spelling. Grammar 3rd or 4th.
As for history, I'm using MOH for my 6 and 10 yr old. I just do them both at the same time. I keep it really simple. Read the story and do a timeline/lapbook kind of thing for each lesson.