Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much do you pay for private insurance?

When I was looking around the best was $1000 with a 10,000 deductible. Some were worse with 20,000 family deductibles or coinsurance. That didn't include dental or maternity. We couldn't afford private. Until 2014 they count pre existing conditions against you and it might not even be possible to get coverage.e

Advertisement

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was denied for having high bp during labor and 2 weeks pp. they are crazy picky. I can't wait until they can't do that anymore...
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
We are VERY VERY lucky, my husband's company takes wonderful care of it's employees. Our health insurance premiums are very reasonable.

They went up slightly at the 1st of the year (usually does) so I think right now we're paying $137.50 every 2 weeks, so $275 or so a month.We're also lucky because They participate in a Wellness Credit and because according to their tests we're both healthy (normal weight, non smokers, good blood work, etc) we get $33 a month savings Otherwise our insurance would be over $300 a month.

Anyway, we have a $100 med deductible at the beginning of the year. $1500 per person, $3,500 family hospital deductible. They pay 100% of all well woman/well man/well child exams with $0 copay/$0 deductible. ER visits carry a $75 copay, Urgent Care a $50 copay, regular dr visits a $25 copay. Plus a 20% deductible. We're pretty lucky....and they cover my husband, no problem, despite his Type 1 diabetes, kidney failure and a whole host of other problems BUT it's through his employer, we've never tried to buy insurance on our own. I doubt we could.

Do you qualify for Medicaid? There are typically much higher income limits for pregnant women. Or does your state have a health insurance plan for 'sick' people? Here in Iowa we have IowaCare that covers people with health issues that can't get private insurance. It's a government program so there are income requirements but it's free/cheap.
This sounds more like insurance provided by a company, rather than private insurance. My DH is self employed, so we have to foot the bill ourselves, which is always higher.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD and DH were on a HDHP plan with a $7,000 deductible. It was $200 a month.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness I can't believe the prices some of your families pay. I think it's absolutely disgusting what healthcare looks like in our country. I am extremely thankful for my state insurance. I never imagined things like high BP during labor or a blood clot would be considering PEC. Awful. I hope the new laws can start making a difference and soon

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP I see you are in Oklahoma - have you looked in to Insure Oklahoma? If your DH works for a small employer (les than 99 employees) that offers no insurance and makes under 56K i am pretty sure you qualify.....

Insure Oklahoma

Its a sliding scale that maxes out at $260 per month i believe..... My parents have used this in the past while moving around in their careers. It does NOT cover vision or dental - but it is "Decent" for the price. 1mil lifetime max, $10 co-pays..... its essentially our state medicaid program (Soonercare) for adults/families. Depending on your family size and income your kids may also qualify for Soonercare for free.

As for truly "private" insurance on the Oklahoma market - the best price for coverage i have found for my family of 5 is BC/BS OK.... about $450 per month (inclds dental, not vision)..... we have no pre-existing conditions.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
winodini
Registered Users

I figured out that it was cheaper to pay out of pocket and have catastapic insurance after you figure deductibles, etc verses your average medical bills (for my family anyway). We were actually losing money by paying for private insurance by several thousand. I hope to get a job with health insurance one day, seems to be the only way to get it affordable.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags462
OP I see you are in Oklahoma - have you looked in to Insure Oklahoma? If your DH works for a small employer (les than 99 employees) that offers no insurance and makes under 56K i am pretty sure you qualify.....

Insure Oklahoma

Its a sliding scale that maxes out at $260 per month i believe..... My parents have used this in the past while moving around in their careers. It does NOT cover vision or dental - but it is "Decent" for the price. 1mil lifetime max, $10 co-pays..... its essentially our state medicaid program (Soonercare) for adults/families. Depending on your family size and income your kids may also qualify for Soonercare for free.

As for truly "private" insurance on the Oklahoma market - the best price for coverage i have found for my family of 5 is BC/BS OK.... about $450 per month (inclds dental, not vision)..... we have no pre-existing conditions.
I've looked at insure Oklahoma, but I'm not sure if it will work or not. If he changes jobs, he'll actually be a campus minister working for a non-profit. The last round of interviews is Saturday so hopefully we'll get some information about what the other minister does.
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #29
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ods has a heart condition. We have always been rejected from private insurance. This is the main reason when looking for jobs, dh has to consider the insurance more than the pay to a point.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
Oh my goodness I can't believe the prices some of your families pay. I think it's absolutely disgusting what healthcare looks like in our country. I am extremely thankful for my state insurance. I never imagined things like high BP during labor or a blood clot would be considering PEC. Awful. I hope the new laws can start making a difference and soon
This is true. DH makes pretty good money on paper, but after you figure in about $12,000 for premiums plus dental plus our $5,000 deductible plus about $25,000 in taxes each year with no tax return, we don't make as much as you would think. I think the deductible should be tax deductible for private insurance because if you have company insurance and add that back in to what you make, many people make much more, they just don't realize it. It is ridiculous how much the middle class is taxed after you make about $50,000. We used to make less and when you added in our benefits, we did better. Not much of an incentive to make more.