Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #21
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not trying to be selfish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyHolly View Post
I plan to work part time. We can't financially afford for me to not work.

I wasn't trying to be "judgy" or anything - just you mentioned sometimes having to be away from baby. If you were planning to SAH, I was just trying to say you don't really need to plan for bottles at all, just go with the flow of things. Not hard to find bottles if you do need them, kwim?

I haven't got any great suggestions for bottles. Just the suggestion to wait a good 4-6 weeks before introducing bottles - or at least until you and baby have both figured out nursing really well.
Babies are lazy with feeding, and if they get a bottle (easy, instant flow) while they're still figuring out nursing (which takes a lot more work!), they tend to start getting fussy with nursing.

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #22
TCKmom
Registered Users

We used both Dr. Brown's and Avent with DD. I liked Dr. Brown's because it seemed to reduce the amount of spit up that DD would have. Avent are easier to clean by hand though (we don't have a dish washer). Dr. Brown's really aren't that hard to clean either, just takes a little more time to get in the nooks and crannies of some of the pieces. We mostly used Avent as back up when we fell behind on dishes when DD was little. As she got older and started holding the bottle on her own and sitting up on her own, we used Avent as first choice and Dr. Brown's as back up since spit up wasn't really an issue anymore. Mine is the primary income in our household so I had no choice but to return to work after 6 weeks. I pumped and we bottle fed. I nursed on evenings and weekends.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #23
LacyHolly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

I wasn't trying to be "judgy" or anything - just you mentioned sometimes having to be away from baby. If you were planning to SAH, I was just trying to say you don't really need to plan for bottles at all, just go with the flow of things. Not hard to find bottles if you do need them, kwim?

I haven't got any great suggestions for bottles. Just the suggestion to wait a good 4-6 weeks before introducing bottles - or at least until you and baby have both figured out nursing really well.
Babies are lazy with feeding, and if they get a bottle (easy, instant flow) while they're still figuring out nursing (which takes a lot more work!), they tend to start getting fussy with nursing.
Waiting a while totally makes sense! Thank you I hadn't even really thought about that part...yikes. I guess I knew babies might get lazy about it, but didn't really think about it.

I am hoping to stay at home for a while, but it really is a matter of what we can afford...well, and how quickly I can find a new job. I'm currently working two jobs 5 days a week, one a midnight shift and then a few hours in the afternoon at another job, and I know I will not be able to keep either of them once Baby is here. We just bought our first home last May and it has required a little more work than expected...as houses always seem to do, ugh!
LacyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #24
LacyHolly
Registered Users

I ended up putting a few different types of bottles on our registry...Tomee Tippee, Dr. Brown's, and Avent just little packs of 2 or 3 of each. That way we will have a few options to be able to find out what Baby will like best

Thank you so much for all of your advice guys! This is such a GREAT place to be able to ask lots of people for their advice! I mean, most of our friends have children, but it's even nicer to get even more opinions!
LacyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #25
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DDC--just something to think about re: registry timing...I advocate for earlier b/c we had out-of-town family & friends & people who preferred to shop online, so they "needed" more shopping time. OTOH, February is usually when everybody does their baby sales, w/ closeouts on old stuff & new stuff coming in, so if you did a registry tomorrow, it's possible that exact pattern, color, etc. might not be available right around the time the baby's born. we didn't give a hoot about colors/patterns, so it wasn't a big deal to us, but it's just something to think about.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #26
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Don't put clothes on your registry. It's a total waste of time. Unless they are online shopping and there is a link, no one is going to try or be able to track down an exact outfit that you have on there. Stores change stock too much, run out of things, and there are just SO MANY different clothes in a store to try to find one particular one.

Also, most people tend to want to buy cute little newborn outfits that they think are cute. Seriously, everyone KNOWS not to buy newborn and 0-3 because that's what everyone else gets, but I had SO MANY people at my baby shower give us CLOTHES (with no tags, no receipts, etc). I was grateful of course but almost nothing on the actual registry was bought except by a couple of VERY close long time family friends. So don't count on people giving you things you need. Budget accordingly so you can actually buy what you need. Especially since your shower is after the baby is born? did I understand that correctly? Because in that case, you won't be able to wait and see what you get that you need, you'll have to have it already for when baby gets there.

Just don't be shocked at the amount of clothing you get. We even specifically put a note in the registry about no clothes. I think most people didn't even look at it, they just went to kohls or wherever and bought a cute little outfit.....
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I also got TONS of blankets, towels, washcloths, lotions, baby powder (totally unnecessary where I live), etc that I didn't register for because everyone thinks they know what you need instead of looking at your registry :/ Some people were very nice and got registry items though!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Don't put clothes on your registry. It's a total waste of time. Unless they are online shopping and there is a link, no one is going to try or be able to track down an exact outfit that you have on there. Stores change stock too much, run out of things, and there are just SO MANY different clothes in a store to try to find one particular one.

Also, most people tend to want to buy cute little newborn outfits that they think are cute. Seriously, everyone KNOWS not to buy newborn and 0-3 because that's what everyone else gets, but I had SO MANY people at my baby shower give us CLOTHES (with no tags, no receipts, etc). I was grateful of course but almost nothing on the actual registry was bought except by a couple of VERY close long time family friends. So don't count on people giving you things you need. Budget accordingly so you can actually buy what you need. Especially since your shower is after the baby is born? did I understand that correctly? Because in that case, you won't be able to wait and see what you get that you need, you'll have to have it already for when baby gets there.

Just don't be shocked at the amount of clothing you get. We even specifically put a note in the registry about no clothes. I think most people didn't even look at it, they just went to kohls or wherever and bought a cute little outfit.....
ITA! The only thing I got off my registry was an entertainer. My parents waited until after my shower to see what I needed most, so luckily for me they bought my car seat. I think esp if you have the shower after baby, you'll end up with a lot of clothes/toys since people assume you have what you need already.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #29
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I forgot about the washcloths. We received a TON of washcloths LOL.

They are really too thin to be good for much else, but they are about to hit the general wash cloth stash in our house. We did actually use them for awhile, but once he was maybe 6 (?) ish months old and we were bathing him in the regular tub, I got him a little poof loofah thing and it works so much better. Gets nice and sudsy! We have probably three dozen wash cloths (they come in packs of 6 or so, so when a few people get them and you've already gotten a pack or two yourself...it adds up quickly).

We also had people that gave clothes that were really cute and bigger sizes, but they didn't think about the season DS would be in once he was that age (summer clothes for winter age, and vice versa), so many of those were not useable either.

I honestly don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I have to say, it opened my eyes. Pre kids I was one of those who picked out the cute little newborn outfits as the gift and thought they would adore it. Now I make sure to buy something off the registry that is going to actually be of use that they WANT!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Granted, 90% of my friends and relatives already had kids, but I did not experience that at all. In fact, my registry was cleared out, but I had to send my mom out for more newborn and 0-3 month clothes (DS was out of newborn in a week) in his first week. Diapers on the other hand... I gave away 5 or 6 packs of newborn.