Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #21
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Jan. Farm/Homesteading Chat Thread

books, ok here it goes. I actually like to read fantasy novels, in them are of course magicians, elves, etc but it's old world style so everyone farms or owns an inn our is a soldier with bow and sword, I also like movies like that (ie robin hood with Russell Crowe). I love the idea of old world simple, but find myself battling modern day laziness for it (I love my washer, dish washer, vehicles and Sam's club).

when I was a freshman in hs we had a bad ice storm and was without power for 2 weeks (out of the predicted 4-6) and it was lug your own water cook on top of the woodstove huddle in the same bed, learn to curl your hair by holding it over a lantern, and I love camping so that to me was awesome.

other books that I use for inspiration are, back to basics, and 4season harvest (the latter by Elliott Coleman who lives only an hour or two from here and grows his food all year round, my 'local' co-op tired his property last year and I was so bummed I had to miss it).

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

as for work it's still up in the air. just wrote a long post, then accidentally slipped with the stylus and changed the page. *sigh*
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #23
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel like a brand new woman! Baby J is sleeping! YAY! Sorry, it's just so nice...he slept until 6am today - the longest he has ever slept in his little 8 month life. Last week Wed night A came into my room and her ear hurt...it still hurt in the morning and this was the second time in 2 weeks (the first time it went away by morning), so I brought the kids in to the Dr. before work. I suspected all of them may have one, as J wasn't sleeping well and K had been really lethargic on and off. It turns out that A and J had them, and finally after antibiotics since Friday J is sleeping like a champ!
RCB, thanks for the noodle recipe! We went into town for an "after Christmas" party on Saturday. My mother-in-law gave me some meals in a jar that she had made and forgotten to give on Christmas Eve - one of them was Beef and Noodles! This recipe calls for Ground Beef though. I doubt it will be as good as homemade noodles and pulled beef, but it'll be fun to compare.
I would be totally interested in the cow butchering info!
And I know you didn't ask me , but I need to get on the wagon for garden prep. I just want a general, good garden this year...Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Carrots, maybe some Onion and Potatoes...Green Beans and Snap Peas...I think that's maybe it. Although when I get to the garden store I often go haywire buying different plants (starting from seed is a goal of mine, but I think for next year. I tried it once and it was a bust.) so we'll see. I want to sketch out a layout this month for it. I worry because where my garden is, the soil gets very hard. So I don't think Potatoes and Carrots may do very well unless I make raised beds.
AFM...not much on the farm side, except chores, laying out the invisible fence wire (it came!), and getting this puppy to come when called. Swim lessons start this week, and the last puppy class is wednesday. I laid out our homeschooling lessons for the week, and wrote out a month calendar for HS and activities. A little late, but more organized than I have been in the past . I was going to start getting A up at 7:30 at the latest to do chores with me (generally the kids wake at 8) on my days off, before T goes to work. But at 7 this morning T got a medical call. And to think, I tried to be so organized. Oh, and I haven't posted pics of the mud room because while I thought it was done, it's not. When we went into town this past weekend we stopped by a salvage place, they demo area buildings and sell what they've torn out. Not necessarily for super cheap, but it's fun stuff! We got a 20' cherry picking ladder for the girls' loft. We'll use 9' of it for the loft, 7' for a ladder to hang above our washer and dryer for me to hang clothes off of (thank you, pinterest for the idea), and the rest we'll find a use of for sure. Then, we also found a 4'x5' wine rack thing...I'm not sure what it is, exactly! But it's a wooden box with diagonal wooden boxes in it, and I'm super excited to hang it above our church pew and put gloves, hats, etc. in it. So, after that is done, THEN I'll post pics! Well, gonna go wake up A and hang some laundry. T just returned, so I guess it's time to start the day!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #24
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and we picked up our shelter mutt Saturday. pretty smart little girl for 11weeks old! she's going to be big. sounds like a hound baying when she cries though so I hope she doesn't go after the chickens when she meets them in the spring. she's supposed to be a lab/boxer mix, she's brindle and doesn't look anything like a boxer
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #25
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
I feel like a brand new woman! Baby J is sleeping! YAY! Sorry, it's just so nice...he slept until 6am today - the longest he has ever slept in his little 8 month life. Last week Wed night A came into my room and her ear hurt...it still hurt in the morning and this was the second time in 2 weeks (the first time it went away by morning), so I brought the kids in to the Dr. before work. I suspected all of them may have one, as J wasn't sleeping well and K had been really lethargic on and off. It turns out that A and J had them, and finally after antibiotics since Friday J is sleeping like a champ!
RCB, thanks for the noodle recipe! We went into town for an "after Christmas" party on Saturday. My mother-in-law gave me some meals in a jar that she had made and forgotten to give on Christmas Eve - one of them was Beef and Noodles! This recipe calls for Ground Beef though. I doubt it will be as good as homemade noodles and pulled beef, but it'll be fun to compare.
I would be totally interested in the cow butchering info!
And I know you didn't ask me , but I need to get on the wagon for garden prep. I just want a general, good garden this year...Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Carrots, maybe some Onion and Potatoes...Green Beans and Snap Peas...I think that's maybe it. Although when I get to the garden store I often go haywire buying different plants (starting from seed is a goal of mine, but I think for next year. I tried it once and it was a bust.) so we'll see. I want to sketch out a layout this month for it. I worry because where my garden is, the soil gets very hard. So I don't think Potatoes and Carrots may do very well unless I make raised beds.
AFM...not much on the farm side, except chores, laying out the invisible fence wire (it came!), and getting this puppy to come when called. Swim lessons start this week, and the last puppy class is wednesday. I laid out our homeschooling lessons for the week, and wrote out a month calendar for HS and activities. A little late, but more organized than I have been in the past . I was going to start getting A up at 7:30 at the latest to do chores with me (generally the kids wake at 8) on my days off, before T goes to work. But at 7 this morning T got a medical call. And to think, I tried to be so organized. Oh, and I haven't posted pics of the mud room because while I thought it was done, it's not. When we went into town this past weekend we stopped by a salvage place, they demo area buildings and sell what they've torn out. Not necessarily for super cheap, but it's fun stuff! We got a 20' cherry picking ladder for the girls' loft. We'll use 9' of it for the loft, 7' for a ladder to hang above our washer and dryer for me to hang clothes off of (thank you, pinterest for the idea), and the rest we'll find a use of for sure. Then, we also found a 4'x5' wine rack thing...I'm not sure what it is, exactly! But it's a wooden box with diagonal wooden boxes in it, and I'm super excited to hang it above our church pew and put gloves, hats, etc. in it. So, after that is done, THEN I'll post pics! Well, gonna go wake up A and hang some laundry. T just returned, so I guess it's time to start the day!
sleep for you!

on the garden planning front, I'm more ambitious than my land currently allows. my dad was supposed to come cut wood but then we got 3 feet off snow so I doubt he's going to do it, soon heel be going to Florida for the rest of the winter and spring heel be back on the boat lobstering until Christmas.

if I can find someone else to do it and if my step dad actually does the stumping/dozing (I'll pay him of course but he's petty bad at saying heel do something then never actually doing it because he deserves time of too, imo one should just say no if they want the time off), then I'll have gardens galore, but likely well spend the whole year getting it done then next year I can plant everything.

what I want to do is plant enough tomatoes, various peppers etc, to make all our sauces, salsa, canned tomatoes, tomato soup, ketchup etc. that would require A LOT of tomatoes, I think our entire diet is tomato based.

I'm going to start seedlings next month that I can transplant in the greenhouse in spring. going to convert a closer into a grow room with a grow might and mirrors to reflect the light all around (it's in my laundry room that stays pretty warm).
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good morning ladies!

Garden chatter has me thinking I'm ready for spring already! We usually garden the same things - tomatoes, squashes, peppers, pumpkins, and sometimes carrots. Id really like to learn root veggies like yams & potatoes but I feel this isn't the year for it.

It's snowing outside which is beautiful but I need to outside finishing my goat set up. My goats have been in my trailer for a week!! Now granted, they are in a huge 14x8 trailer that is covered, has food, water & a heat light, it's still temporary and I am wanting them in their own space already.

It would have been done but we spent the entire week without water! Well froze... It's been a long week indeed. Yesterday we rested and now we're headed into a long week again!
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #27
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Books.. I adore books and read them often but rarely remember names as I check out about 50 from the library every 2 weeks. 2 years ago I began reading things like the backyard homesteader, and several books on sustainably living on 1-5 acres. in depth books about crop and animal rotation, what a typical life and day looked like, etc.

My husband grew up in seattle itself, never even had a backyard as a kid once... I wasnt raised on a farm either! So this transition is a slow moving one but we are really committed to.

This week, I'm reading about diary goats..... Seeing as I now own them!
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, books! I forgot! I'm a longtime fan of Janette Oke and Laura Ingalls...RCB, I always used to dress up as Laura Ingalls (or as I thought she might dress when younger.
Now, I don't read as much fiction. I tend to get absorbed in books and neglect most everything else around me until I'm done with them...fairly unhealthy, with 3 littles running around , so I try to resist and knit instead. I can do that and still respond to external stimuli! I have recently started a new book though, The Egg and I? It's an older book by Betty MacDonald, pretty good so far, about how she leaves "civilization" and goes with her husband to live on/start a chicken farm.
Amanda - pound mutt sounds like fun!
How do you guys keep chickens out of your garden? I'm wondering what kind of enclosure I need to make for my garden this year...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, today I decided that I needed a little dose of something... isk, gardening ish, i guess. So I canned black beans to give me that feel of canning. And boy, canning in the winter is so much more pleasant! It's not already 80+ before lighting the stove, instead my furnace had been acting up so now it's pleasantly comfortable! I also made a homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner. The older two andd I loved it (DH is at work) the little two however, well, the only 'soup' any of my kids will eat is tomato (I have no idea what's wrong with them, they won't eat a stew either).

However, It's a pain waiting for that pressure cooker to cool down. I do like the water bath of put em in taken em out put another batch in....
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
T put up the ladder in my laundry room today. I'm excited to be able to wash, dry, and hang my laundry in the same room! We have a shelf or 2 that I think we're going to hang on the far wall yet, and trim around the shelves opening. Down the road I might make some curtains to go over the shelf and I really want to make a sign that says "With God, all things are possible...even clean laundry!" Because seriously, clean laundry in our house is a God thing! Here are some pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1627149692.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	129632

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3809383329.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	129635

K...I stink at taking/adding pics from my phone. I apologize for the lighting!

Last edited by missc; 01-08-2013 at 08:28 PM.
missc is offline   Reply With Quote