Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you, all of you. I feel stupid. I studied people's laundry problems and didnt want to have stinkies, ammonia, stains,etc. and I didn't -- I have dead elastic! Sheesh.

My diapers tonight are in a sanitary wash (put them in before i read the consensus here that sanitary is too hot) with only Charlie's in the pre wash and Charles plus a tbsp of oxy in the regular wash. I will dry them part way and try to air them after, or maybe I will dry them for less time and then put them in a cold dryer for a while? It's rainy outside.

Will look for those people to help me repair these elastics. I adore the diapers (until I kill the elastic). They are Chelorys.

Advertisement

FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
By the way, we can't tolerate tide and the like. Thinking of making my own detergent. But now I need to know what exactly ruins elastics.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: Elastic stretched and diapers leaking! Why?

I think Charlie's and 1/8- 1/4 C bleach (for an HE front loader) would be fine. I think the heat is what is doing the most damage (get rid of the sanitary cycle and just use regular hot) and seriously reduce your dryer time to maybe 1 hour on medium...then air dry rest of the way on a flat rack. I would not combine oxyclean and bleach either....it's just too much. I'm surprised the PUL hasn't started to delaminate with the sanitary cycle as I've heard that can happen.

Elastics are just going to need replacing in diapers because they are so frequently washed...so don't beat yourself up too much over it. They are diapers...you do need to get them clean. Sorry that this is happening to you though...hopefully you can find someone to replace the elastics.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulHouse
But she has been teething and her poop has been horrible. I am sure the regular hot water wouldn't be hot enough to kill germs?

I could see giving up on bleach or oxyclean or both but the hot water too?

Anyone know if the elastic can be replaced?
Poop is poop. Only difference is when they have real poop and you have to knock it in the toilet. You have probably voided your warranty with the sanitary cycle, all that bleach, and oxy and the really long time in the drye. Your dryer isn't working right if it takes them that long to dry on HIGH. I dry mine in low and it takes 45-60 min and I'm pretty sure my dryer is from the 80's (rust and all)

Most companies will send repair kits but since you did that in your wash cycle it'll probably cost you money instead of being free.

I don't have a FL so I can't tell you how you should wash your diapers in your washer but a sanitary cycle isn't necessary. If you want to get rid of bacteria add TeaTreeOil to the rinse cycle. Simple. And doesn't cost you your stash.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #15
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulHouse
By the way, we can't tolerate tide and the like. Thinking of making my own detergent. But now I need to know what exactly ruins elastics.
I use Charlie's soap. it is more than sufficient. I use it on all my laundry.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #16
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the heat is what is killing the elastic. I use 1/4 cup of bleach in every load in our top loader. The only diapers that I have had elastic go on are 2+yrs old and going on child #3 so they have gotten some serious use.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
I think the heat is what is killing the elastic. I use 1/4 cup of bleach in every load in our top loader. The only diapers that I have had elastic go on are 2+yrs old and going on child #3 so they have gotten some serious use.
I agree with this. I have been using the same BG pockets for 2 years and always wash in a top loader with 1/4 cup of bleach and the Elastic is loose but only becasue they have been in heavy rotation for 2 years. I hang to dry.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your detergent should be okay. Why don't you ask Rachel about who might be able to repair your elastic? She is such a nice WAHM, I bet she can help you figure out what to do. I think she does sell Ai2s, so maybe look into trying those as well

boysniris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #20
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok, I will use regular hot from now on. And Charlie's or the like. And will do only one hour on med hot and then either indoor air dry them or sun them dry if I can. We dont have a yard but we have a roof terrace. Should I add something to the pre wash like bleach to get out bacteria?