Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Croupy cough and wheezing

If it makes you feel any better (which it probably won't, in the moment), while it SOUNDS like they are having a horrific time breathing, it typically isn't the case. I took my DS1 to the ER about four years ago because he sounded like he literally couldn't breathe. He kept saying, "I can't breathe!" So, I rushed him off. His oxygen was at 98/99. So while it may have felt to him like he couldn't breathe, and sounded to me like he couldn't breathe, that wasn't really the case.

Of course, if you really suspect he can't breathe, take him in... just wanted to let you know that even when it sounds horrific, it sometimes isn't that bad (they are still getting oxygen).

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you for the encouragement!! It is SO hard hearing them struggling to breathe! He's tucked in bed now...Vicks on his feet. His nose is VERY plugged even though I aspirated as much as I could and have been using saline throughout the day.

Here's to a night of better sleep!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Yea, croup SOUNDS worse than it is, typically. My kids are just recovering from a bout of it. My son always gets it with weather changes, mostly from hot to not-hot. (we're in FL, so there's no real winter).

I do my very best to avoid the steroids whenever I can. I have taken him for steroids once when it was really bad. But recently after reading more about it, I decided not to this last time.

Croup is caused by inflammation in the lungs. You can't do much for it. The cold/steam helps a little, but most cough meds don't treat lung inflammation, they treat coughs caused by illness/allergies. So cough meds won't do too much. The steroids make the inflammation go away, but if you have a child who is prone to croup, it will probably just come back in a matter of time.

We try to just wait it out and let it run it's course. It sounds worst on days 2 and 3. Then gets better. My kids were better completely after about 5-7 days.

The important things to look for that indicate that they need immediate help are bluish lips, true lethargy, and skin pulled between the ribs during breaths.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks kiliki. It seems like every few months he gets this. I took him to the ER the first time but it has never been that bad since. As soon as he gets a little bit of a cold he gets croup.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly dolly View Post
Thanks kiliki. It seems like every few months he gets this. I took him to the ER the first time but it has never been that bad since. As soon as he gets a little bit of a cold he gets croup.
another mama on here said her experience has been that getting the meds each time makes it come back quicker and last longer. I have no idea if there's any other info about that out there, but it is something to ponder.

The steroids aren't good for their immune systems, so it makes sense that it could be a vicious cycle - get meds, fry immune system, kid heals, catches new bug (or, even the same bug as before b.c they didn't build a good enough immune response the first time around), gets croup, gets meds, fries immune system - etc.

Eta- I don't know if you are getting the steroids each time or not, this is just the info I personally have on it. It seems like unless your kid has a serious round with croup, letting them fight it off naturally could be the best bet.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-06-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
He slept all night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has only had the meds once. And it was his most severe case for sure. Thanks for the info though!! I'll file that away.