Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

All day outing - my first in cloth

I've been doing cloth full time at home for almost a month, but we've been using sposies when out and about...mostly because we had a bunch to use up. Today I'm thinking I might branch out and try cloth on the go. We're going to lunch, then shopping for fun, then groceries before coming home by supper time.

I have a BG Freetime, a 4.0, flips with both flats and disposable inserts, and a few sposies as backup. DS is 11 months and generally only poops once in the morning, so we should be ok with reusing the flips covers and keep the Freetime and 4.0 as backup. I hope not to use the sposies at all :-)

What are your go-to strategies for all day outings?

Advertisement

PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: All day outing - my first in cloth

Take at least one extra cover than you think you need. When my kids were that age I always night diapered them for long outings...but DS was a heavy wetter....in that scenero I would plan on changing at lunch and maybe while shopping depending on how long u r out. Don't forget a wetbag or ziplick to put the used dipes in.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We pack at least 4 cloth (sometimes 6 if the day will be really long) and 2 sposies, we keep track of time and try and change every 2 hours to prevent leaks (my girl is a super soaker) and an extra change of clothes just in case. it works great
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck. For outings I do nothing special except pack a few extra diapers and wipes than I assume I will need, just in case.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Kyonarai
Registered Users
seller

If it's a short outing, I just take my usual flats and flips, but long outings I like to put her in one of her nighttime diapers since I have extra, a flip organic insert in a stay dry insert sock.
Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Magoo07
Registered Users
seller
seller

For errands I take pockets or AIOs so there is less fuss while in a public restroom.

For day trips to my inlaws or parents house where we'll be there several hours and I have space to change, I bring 1-2 flips covers and several stay dry inserts. It's less bulk to travel with I think.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I love seeing everyone's strategies It went great, was really much less of an ordeal than I made it out to be in my head! I really don't like the flips disposable inserts. We started with one of those with a cotton doubler. Ditched the insert on the first change and doubler into wet bag. Cover was fresh so just put a pad folded flat in. Next change another flat. Next change into the freetime. Then home and back into our normal snappi'd flat It was a piece of cake!
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennayoung99
We pack at least 4 cloth (sometimes 6 if the day will be really long) and 2 sposies, we keep track of time and try and change every 2 hours to prevent leaks (my girl is a super soaker) and an extra change of clothes just in case. it works great
This!! I use pockets and I stuff out of the dryer so they're just as easy to grab as sposies.

If I know we are going on. Long car ride I will sometimes put him in a sposie because he tends to leak if he has a heavy pee...and I hate cleaning my carseat.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff
I love seeing everyone's strategies It went great, was really much less of an ordeal than I made it out to be in my head! I really don't like the flips disposable inserts. We started with one of those with a cotton doubler. Ditched the insert on the first change and doubler into wet bag. Cover was fresh so just put a pad folded flat in. Next change another flat. Next change into the freetime. Then home and back into our normal snappi'd flat It was a piece of cake!
Yay! Congrats on taking the plunge, it really is no different than using disposibles, you just need to be prepared.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
qhorses8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Glad it went great, my one special thing for longer trips is 2 diaper bags if I am visiting going back to my car often shopping or whatever. This means I only have to put 1 or 2 diapers in the diaper bag and leave more elsewhere and switch them out. Keeps my diaper bag a little lighter.
qhorses8 is offline   Reply With Quote