Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
mayasmomma
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Your favorite SSC with back straps that cross!

So we started our baby wearing journey with a hand-me-down classic Bjorn. I loved how easy it was to put on, I still think it was a good introduction to baby wearing but it really squished my boobs and it was a "crotch dangler" which we know now isn't good for babies. We then bought a Ergo performance - it fits my hubby really well and he loves it. For me, I am really short and squishy around my mid section. The waist is too wide and then the waist straps cut into my sides. I also really hate the chest strap in the back. So, I cannot make up my mind between the Cat bird, a babyhawk (maybe mei tai) or a Beco Gemini. I do also love the Beco Butterfly because we do like to back wear and it looks so easy to do in it. I'm aware maybe it's impossible to really fill all baby wearing needs with one carrier - but is it? Are there carriers I don't know about out there (I'm sure there are). Please help me! Help me by telling me what your favorite carrier is and why, and what might fit me better? I'd love to buy one soon, and hopefully used!

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
mayasmomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Your favorite SSC with back straps that cross!

I should have added my baby is 1 now but 19 pounds.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Ecdyses
Registered Users
seller

If you want back straps that can cross, you need a carrier with really flat straps. Kangas (bloo kangaroo) come to mind, as well as straight strapped dream carriers. Carriers with really padded straps generally don't cross well and need to be worn with a chest strap.

Have you considered a half- buckle? These are carriers that have a structured buckle waist like an SSC, but flat tie straps like an MT. They're great if you like to cross straps or have difficulty with strap fit, but need the extra support of a structured waist (or like me, you are a failure with two sets of tie straps).
Ecdyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Action Baby Carrier, the Babyhawk Oh Snap and the new Moby GO also criss cross over your back for back carries too.

Not sure if there is going to be just "one" carrier for you or not, but I do really like both the Action Baby and the Beco Gemini...but the Gemini is a bit smaller bodied and the weight limit is only 35 lbs (as opposed to the others mentioned are 45).

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

My O&A does it, but the straps ride up my neck.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Onya carriers can be used crossed or not.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
It's_All_4_Them
Registered Users

I was in the same place you are now.....had a bjorn, but that didn't work for us....and then the search was on. I ended up with the beco Gemini and I love it. I like the versatility of it and...that I could forward carry, but not have a "crotch dangler". i even took it on vacation when baby was 8 months old instead of bringing a stroller and I was able to carry her everywhere without even thinking about it.

I am on the shorter side, so it works well for me (ergo was too long for me). I didn't think I really needed the insert on the beco butterfly.

The snaps on the bego do take a little getting used to since you need both hands.

Noticed that you are located in Boston....so am I! I went to the store to try on first to see what fit before purchasing. I would highly recommend doing that before making a final decision.
It's_All_4_Them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

I second the advice for looking into a kanga from blookangaroo. I've tried many,many carriers and a kanga sounds like a good fit for you

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
mayasmomma
Registered Users
seller

Great advice everyone thank you! Trying to come up with funding now for that Onya that's for sale or a Beco I think. I bought a Maya sling in the meantime for something fast around the house.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
urbanhomesteader
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think my Catbirdbaby Pikkolo is super simple and comfortable. Also very versatile - you can do outward-facing (not that we ever do), or a hip carry (good for curious babies who want to look around but more supportive than outward facing), back carry, or the classic front carry. Height adaptable, criss-cross the straps or add a chest strap, and compatible with my backpack and purse.
urbanhomesteader is offline   Reply With Quote