Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DH had one last spring because we are done, he went back for his rechecks and his count was 0 both times. We always get pregnant very easily and no bfp's here.

He was not comfortable for about 10 days afterward which neither of us expected. I mean too uncomfortable to go to his desk job. But after that all has been well, he doesn't think anything feels different now that he is healed.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH had a great experience. Didn't even take his pain meds. He'd do it again. It was a fast and easy procedure and the only painful part was the needle.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Talk to me about Vasectomies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
DH had a great experience. Didn't even take his pain meds. He'd do it again. It was a fast and easy procedure and the only painful part was the needle.

My ex had a similar experience.

So long as you and DH are absolutely certain you wll not want to have more children (naturally) in the future, I think it is an awesome option compared to any alternatives.

Years after our divorce, he went for reversal (which is VERY expensive) and it doesn't seem to have worked.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The trick is to find a doc that other men highly recommend. Lots of doctors perform them, but the difference in recovery and technique can vary enormously (As you can see from the PPs)! Do your research first!

Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.

Last edited by wordmama; 01-07-2013 at 07:37 AM.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH had his in late September. The urologist has a surgical suite there at his office where they do the procedure. No valium. It was very fast and he said that there was no pain. The only less than fun parts were the pre-surgical scrub because he is kinda shy and he could not imagine if I washed peoples "area" as a job and the burning smell He rested up for 2 days and was light duty at work for a week or so. He used the ice packs for the first 2 days and wore an athletic support on the suggestion of the doctor. He is past due for his last sperm analysis and is actually going tomorrow. We both feel great about the decision. I am beyond relieved to not have to worry about preventing ever again.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Check out this site ---
http://www.dontfixit.org/
Sadly I didn't read it until AFTER Dh had his procedure. If we could go back we would.
Is your DH experiencing pain or other complications?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add dh's was done by the father of one of the dr's I work with frequently in my job, so I trusted him. Plus, he's been doing them longer than I've been alive. Lol! He told Dh to wear an athletic support and no ice, said he'd seen damage done because the testicles got too cold(he mentioned frostbite). I watched the entire thing. Just gotta say, it was a lot easier than my 4 births. It cost $800 because my insurance doesn't cover BC of any type(catholic hospital).
Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
Is your DH experiencing pain or other complications?
Sorry I don't want to say exactly what because it is his private information not mine to share but he had what we found out later is NOT uncommon nerve damage he isn't in pain at least but will never function the same again. The procedure went well, he went to the most well respected Dr - actually the Dr he went to specializes in post V pain syndrome and treating complications post V (found that out after too when I saw his name listed on a site for people looking for help) DH just wasn't one of the "lucky" ones. I guess rate of complications are low but we were never told something this catasrophic could happen. We had an amazing physical relationship and this has caused an insane amount of stress in our marriage while we try to learn to connect in different ways and with lowered expectations. I guess we can watch movies and learn how to knit together instead.

Last edited by mg5g; 01-07-2013 at 10:35 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dh got it done almost 3 yes ago. He got it done Friday and was back at work Mon. It was painful but recovery time short. Def haven't gotten pregnant.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
cbreeding
Registered Users

DH had a good experience. The actual procedure was painless and quick. It took more time to numb him than the procedure itself took. We did get several recommendations from others first.

My DH was uncomfortable for about a week. He was okay to walk but to much movement was uncomfortable. He didn't take any pain medication so it was bearable. He did buy compression underwear (the type for sports, in particular bike riding) and that made all the difference. He took it easy over the weekend, but was back to work on Monday.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote