Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
kellismommi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I convince my other that my DD cannot wear a snowsuit in the car?

Pmd you!

Advertisement

kellismommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I use either 1 layer fleece jackets or bunting's with hats and mittens and than a 2 layer fleece blanket over them in the van
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom and I reached a compromise! She will wear her Columbia fleece bunting thing, have a blanket in the car, and wear a poncho. It might be overkill, but ponchos are easily removed.

Next winter I'm going to get her one of The North Face'sfleece suits.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My parents and in-laws all just listen to what we say about the kids in regards to car seats and whatnot. I would be mean and tell her that if she doesn't want to follow your rules, she doesn't get to drive her anywhere in the winter.

There's no reason she can't have a coat on, then just take it off in the vehicle for buckling, and put it on when they stop.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

My mom STILL says something but for the most part, she has learned not to pipe up about carseat use because she knows it's my way or she won't get to take DS anywhere alone.

Just the other day, we were running a quick errand. We were maybe 10 spots from the door, and she was horrified he wasn't wearing a winter coat. I've explained to her a million times why you can't use winter gear in carseats. But in her opinion you then put it on before going into the store, which is fine if it's a bit of a walk or bitter cold. It was neither. By the time I would've gotten the coat on my 2 yr old from the side door of the van, we could've already walked inside in the first place. So generally it's not worth it! In the car on cold days, he wears a long sleeve t-shirt and a fleece/cotton type zip up hoodie. We do have a carseat poncho but it really hasn't been the cold that we've had to take him somewhere in it. I used it a lot last year though even though it wasn't that cold, he was younger.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to defend my mom a bit. She is awesome, she'd never disrespect my wishes, or go behind my back. She just tells me, "she has to wear a snowsuit!". She's looking at all the info though and understanding why. I sent her that link where the carseat remained perfect, but baby fell into a snow bank. I think that helped her understand why a big snowsuit cannot go under the straps in a carseat.

What doesn't help my cause is that the car seat inspectors/technicians don't tell people that rule. They say to put coats/snowsuits on becaus how else will they stay warm. So when our nurse isn't on my side, my mom tends to think I'm wrong (she follows authority blindly, I refuse to)
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I used to really hate this rule. But finding the perfect blankets helped a lot. My sister made the kids a couple fleece taggie blankets, in a small (like toddler bed) size, which are perfect. Very warm, and big enough to cover the kid but small enough to fold up and put out of the way. And better than a snowsuit, because when the car gets warmed up the kids can toss them off!
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are there any videos of crash tests? I think a lot of people have a hard time connecting the photos of loose straps with the coat off to visually seeing a dummy being ejected. There are many photos that demonstrate how loose the straps are after the coat is removed then they can slide both their arms through... but people probably don't see this as what would happen in a crash and aren't convinced. I wish there was a video that demonstrated it because it would be so compelling.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

What about telling him how hot she would get inside a warm car with the heater on. Too hot for babies, is no good for them.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
BL_Coleman
Registered Users

Ask your mother to sit in the car in her snowsuit and see how she feels...too warm...and uncomfy
BL_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote