Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #31

Formerly Q......9
My Mood:
We have a 1300 sq ft house & I think it is too big some days. We also have a huge unfinished basement (where I put a mini-trampoline, gymnastics mat, 2 scooters &a small slide for "Power Rangers" play time. My dining room is also my 4 yo's play room and also houses the computer and dog bed. We only eat dinner in there.

We looked at a home that was 800 sq ft and I was all ready to go for it but my hubs wanted a garage and this house lacked that. By the time I got him on board the house sold (for around $22,000 I was so sad). I think about that house often & how cute it was. I really like my house but it still doesn't feel like "home".

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
Registered Users
Originally Posted by OurAllenBaby
You just have to minimize the stuff you own and maximize your organization!

In my opinion if you think you need MORE SPACE - then you probably need LESS STUFF.
You nailed it!!

I am trying so hard to clear out stuff. I began the purging process last fall, and DH didn't seem to be onboard. I did manage to clear out a lot of things, tho, and finally he seems to be coming around. My goal this spring is to really purge our basement so that we can refinish at least part of it to become a playroom. Big dreams would include a finished laundry room and sewing room (or at least a nook to set up my sewing machine!)

After reading all of your posts I think I have decided that maybe we should stay in this house for now, and make it work the best we can. I am still determined to declutter more, but it's such a slow process!
Make Mine Home
indigo152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Registered Users
Re: Would I be happy in a bigger house?

I think picking out your own home together definately makes a home feel better (for lack if a better word). My husband had a home before we met and we lived there for 1.5 years and while I put my touches on it but it never felt like mine. When picked out a house that we both love and it felt like home within weeks of moving in and we are so happy here. A bigger home may not make you happier as it sounds like there is space to work with there.
LeAdams7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
Registered Users

We have two boys (2 and 5) in a 850 square foot, 3 bedroom, 1 bath house. They share a small bedroom with an ikea bunk, a dresser and all their toys. I store almost all of their toys inside there room. I have a bench in the living room with three cubbies where they each have one to store some small toys that are easy to clean up. I am much happier with all the toys contained in one place. If they want to play with something new they have to clean up beforehand. However, we do have a 15,000 square foot yard on a canyon where they go wild. It does help with keeping the house uncluttered having a large outdoor space for them to move around.
senna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #35
Registered Users

Is it possible to throw the kids together and make the extra bedroom a playroom? I'd either do that or partially refinish the basement.

We live in 1200sq ft with a partially finished basement (just drywall and plywood) - dp has his music room down there, we do laundry down there and I have my work area. Personally I would like smaller, way smaller. Dp on the other hand would not and this is the smallest he is willing to go.
Mama to Brooklyn Marie 7/10/08 , Team green turned PINK Rebecca Rose 4/19/2012 & something new coming late March 2014
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote