Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Have you ever taken Vitex?

My naturopathic doctor prescribed me a Vitex tincture, to be taken by 1tsp once a day. Lately I seem to have trouble getting a baby to stick. I had a chemical back in September, I was still bf'ing my 15 month old and had not yet had my first pp AF (not sure if that really matters). Then the following month I got pg again. This time I had a missed m/c, the baby died around 8w and I didn't know until around 12w (I then had a D&C because I had horrible lower back pain and my body wasn't passing anything). Anyway, I went to see my naturopath because I was concerned my hormones were out of balance due to pregnancy and child birth. He thought this might be the problem so he prescribed Vitex to help regulate things and get my baby to stick (because it increases progesterone production). It is the only remedy we could work with right now because this was my first m/c and age is not an issue.

Anyway, my main question is if you have used Vitex, did you find it was successful at regulating your cycles and getting a sticky bean? I would like to know because the stuff is expensive, $57.50 for a 250ml bottle, and tastes absolutely horrendous! If you can help, thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Have you ever taken Vitex?

I love the stuff. I think it helped with getting both my LOs. That is a ridiculous price, though! You can get it at any health food store or online for much cheaper, and in capsule form.
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecornflakes View Post
I love the stuff. I think it helped with getting both my LOs. That is a ridiculous price, though! You can get it at any health food store or online for much cheaper, and in capsule form.
Really? How much did you pay for the bottle of capsules? I'll probably try to finish this horrible liquid form and get the capsules after. I wish I would have known that you could get it for cheaper and in capsule form before I bought it from my ND. I hope it works as well for me as it did for you.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
katiecornflakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have gotten a bottle for as little as $7. I don't think that's the highest quality, though. I think this bottle I have was maybe $15.
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is my first time really consistently taking Vitex. I take 2 pills that equal 880mg. I paid around $11 I think.
I TAKE THIS ONE.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

FWIW tinctures are generally more powerful than capsules where herbal preparations are concerned. You certainly can look around and likely find a tincture for less, though.

ETA: a quick Google search discovered several tincture options for far less. Amazon has some for about $7.

Last edited by Yarnjess; 01-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
FWIW tinctures are generally more powerful than capsules where herbal preparations are concerned. You certainly can look around and likely find a tincture for less, though.

ETA: a quick Google search discovered several tincture options for far less. Amazon has some for about $7.
Actually I do recall my ND saying that tinctures were more powerful and I think that is why he gave it to me. I can't believe you can get some for only $7 though! Wow, I'll have to look around online before I get another bottle.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

You could also check Mountain Rose Herbs. They have it as well. I don't remember how much, but a lot less than $57. I've never heard of the $7 brand before, so not sure what the quality is like but Mountain Rose Herbs has a good reputation. I've purchased their bulk herbs before and they've always been high quality.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've read that you need to stop as soon as you get pg, but then people worry about progesterone drop. I've read that it can have birth defects. Has anyone gotten any read info from a dr around these things -- I'm just on the internet. :-/
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I've read that you need to stop as soon as you get pg, but then people worry about progesterone drop. I've read that it can have birth defects. Has anyone gotten any read info from a dr around these things -- I'm just on the internet. :-/
It can cause birth defects? Wow, that's scary! My ND told me that once I get pg again I should continue to take it until the second trimester, to make sure my progesterone levels stay in balance. I better find out for sure if its safe now.