Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tell me about a birth center delivery

I *just* found out that we will have a birth center opening here about 6 weeks before I deliver. It is a free standing center but across the highway from the hospital who will be doing back up and they will start with one CNM, I have a consult in for the day they open but unfortunately I won't be able to find out much more until then. I've had two previous hospital deliveries, 1 natural. I absolutely love the idea of a birth center but I have lots of questions that I won't be able to find out until only a few weeks before delivery.

How long did you stay after your delivery at a birth center? I want to stay at least 24 hours, do you think this is a possibility? What do you wear? (Of the little information I saw it said no hospital gowns but now I realize I have no idea what to bring) They do have tubs in each room, any tips on this? Do they typically give you postpartum pads? Diapers for the baby while you are there, etc?

Any info is greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom
I *just* found out that we will have a birth center opening here about 6 weeks before I deliver. It is a free standing center but across the highway from the hospital who will be doing back up and they will start with one CNM, I have a consult in for the day they open but unfortunately I won't be able to find out much more until then. I've had two previous hospital deliveries, 1 natural. I absolutely love the idea of a birth center but I have lots of questions that I won't be able to find out until only a few weeks before delivery.

How long did you stay after your delivery at a birth center? I want to stay at least 24 hours, do you think this is a possibility? What do you wear? (Of the little information I saw it said no hospital gowns but now I realize I have no idea what to bring) They do have tubs in each room, any tips on this? Do they typically give you postpartum pads? Diapers for the baby while you are there, etc?

Any info is greatly appreciated
I stayed about 6 hours after baby was born. In my state, you cannot stay more than 23 hrs 59 mins, or they have to transfer you to the hospital. So from my experience, no it's not possible, but your state may have different laws. A nurse practitioner came to my house at 24 hrs to check on me and baby.

I wore a jersey dress/gown. It was short and light and super comfy. I had a sports bra under it. When I got in the tub, I had a bikini top on. I had to take a class on water birth before being cleared to use the tub to deliver. I finished it about 12 hours before my water broke lol. It was mostly about positions and just emphasizing that you have to be in control enough to listen to the midwives directions if they give any, and that if you start acting crazy, they will make you get out of the water.

They had some postpartum pads and diapers, but I only used one of each. They didn't provide enough for more than a few hours anyway, so it was easier and more comfy to use what I packed. They did have a wonderful luxurious robe that I wore during my stay, and they give every baby a hand knit hat.

Can you email the center to find out info since it will be so close to your due date when they open? The birth center I use has a Facebook page that is very active and they always reply to questions, comments, etc.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about a birth center delivery

At my birth center, the minimum stay is 4 hours after delivery, and the max is 12, I think? And a midwife contacts you later in the day after you've left and then visits at your house the next day. I've never heard of any birth centers that allow a 24+hr stay after delivery, generally, you need to feel comfortable and well enough to go home the same day as delivery (or in the morning if you deliver at night), if not, then they feel you are best cared for in a hospital setting.

You can wear whatever you want, and they do have some supplies (pads, diapers, etc.), but you're not going to walk out with a stash they way you do in a hospital.

ETA: What is it about the idea of a birth center that appeals to you? You said you already had a natural delivery in a hospital that you were happy with, was there something about that experience that you felt was missing or that you'd like to do differently this time?

Last edited by Caz; 01-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the info ladies. I looked up our laws and you do have to leave in less than 24 hours after admission. That's just not what I'm used to but now that I've had time to think about it (and remember how miserable I was in the hospital) I'm thinking it would actually be really great to go home quickly, assuming everything was okay.

The main problem now is in order for my secondary insurance to cover it had to be a stay longer than 23 hours so I'm trying to see if I can make it work. And, I love the stash the hospital gives you (I'm a sucker for freebies and samples) but I don't think it justifies a $9,000 extra price tag :-)

Last edited by nursenmom; 01-07-2013 at 09:13 PM.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote