Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: Homeschooling?

I am using k12 Virtual academy through Indiana for grades K and 1. I like that it is free, I'm being held more accountable (this is a problem for me), and I do love the materials. Both boys love the teachers they have. I think at first I hated it because it was so rigorous. I was more laid back, but halfway through the year looking at what they have learned is amazing! They also have fun games to play for review, I can adjust lessons or add if I want to, and the class connects are fun for the boys. They enjoy learning the computer.

I will say it takes commitment. We don't do 60 min. of math everyday, but if we do the lesson and it is supposed to take 60min I mark it as 60min... if we go over I add extra time We have 45 min PE daily required and we have no trouble at all meeting that. Each state is different. I will adjust lessons. If I find something that meets the core guidelines I will teach it a different way. All that matters is they can pass the quiz at the end. Both boys teachers know that I do this. I've changed handwriting programs without problems and pull from another math program for each boy and am still able to mark and meet guidelines. It is fine to sub/make it work. I think many parents don't think to do that. I mean it is free, I can add in a few extras!

So anyways, I'm not sure what we will do next year. I may do K12 or I may go to MFW. I do know that I will put the boys back in for High School so they have a real degree. That means a lot to me.

Melissa, mama to 4
Yummy yarn FS! PL HUGE Destash
PM me about YYMN spots!
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

I am looking at this for my son as well. Are you still considered as home schooling your child when you go through a program like this (as far as having to follow the state-to-state laws and regulations)? I guess what confuses me is that it is called virtual public school. Also, what kind of materials/books/etc. do they send you? And do they really send you a computer for your child to use (obviously on loan)? One of the main reasons we are considering this is because of the structure.
Kim; FT student, mom to 3, and wife to Ed.
kbstanley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #23
Registered Users

We did K12 from second semester 2nd grade through first semester 3rd grade.. Its not "true" Homschooling its public school at home. Its a good fit for some wasn't for us. Not all was horrible though it helped the transation it provided me with materials their was no way I could come close to affording at the time and having clear lessons helped.. They also hav esome good curriculum their LA for example is actually quite nice..

What didn't work (many things but some top issues)
1) the teachers the turn over rate with teachers is crazy at least in my state my kid was assigned a new teacher about every 4-6 weeks all with their own ways and new rules...

2) tied to the computer not only were many lessons given in a way where my DD HAD to be sitting at a computer but with different teaching deciding on soo many extra conference calls and study groups we found trying to do anythign else next to impossible. Our times was jsut as stressful as her ins school..

3) the dimmisive patronizing attitude they gave parents.. If I said my kid was sick so she missed 2 days I got letters stating the importance of attendance threats to remove her. We returned to see all her missed work now crammed into her returning day. Nothing better than to great an 8 year old back from puking for 3 days with a school assignment sheet with over 28 lessons to be completed that day or risk "failure" On the flip side if your kid does well you gets these silly E cards stating what a great mom you are

I said enough went on our own and have been much happier.
I can not spell and have no phone to blame things on.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

already posted months ago lol

Last edited by misscrazO; 01-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
misscrazO is offline   Reply With Quote