Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
bcarroll9494
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Talk to me about Vasectomies!!

Dh said the worse part was that the Doc was trying to chit chat with him..... but he just wanted him to be quiet or he felt like passing out.
Kind of sounds like me getting a blood draw

Advertisement

Unique hand-dyed diapers and more.
bcarroll9494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Sorry I don't want to say exactly what because it is his private information not mine to share but he had what we found out later is NOT uncommon nerve damage he isn't in pain at least but will never function the same again. The procedure went well, he went to the most well respected Dr - actually the Dr he went to specializes in post V pain syndrome and treating complications post V (found that out after too when I saw his name listed on a site for people looking for help) DH just wasn't one of the "lucky" ones. I guess rate of complications are low but we were never told something this catasrophic could happen. We had an amazing physical relationship and this has caused an insane amount of stress in our marriage while we try to learn to connect in different ways and with lowered expectations. I guess we can watch movies and learn how to knit together instead.
I am so sorry, mama. Is there anything they can do to repair it?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #23
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
I am so sorry, mama. Is there anything they can do to repair it?
The short answer is no.

As I've now found out some men try to have reversals and additional surgeries but none of the stories I've read have they been able to heal fully. DH has more then one side effect so it isn't likely that even IF he were willing to have another operation (which he isn't incase it gets even worse) it would work. BUT the "good" thing is there are some men in horrible chronic pain for the rest of their lives and at least he isn't one of them. I just wish someone would have told us that the complications are a LOT more serious and long lasting then the glossy brochure makes them out to be if you happen to be someone who has it happen to them. As I said before it wasn't Dr error, or using a quack, it was just how DH's body reacted to the procedure it could happen to anyone.

Last edited by mg5g; 01-08-2013 at 03:09 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3
My DH just had his in the fall. On advice from ladies here I did not let him drive himself as he wanted. But, it went very easily for him. He said it was five mins a side, with a lot of prep time beforehand. He took it very easy for the full 48 hours and was back at work on Monday. He said he had an odd tugging sensation, not really pain for a few weeks, but he says there is nothing now. He goes for his first test in Feb, so we are still not "safe" yet.
Why not let him drive himself? Dh has his scheduled for later this month and planned to just drive there after work then drive home, it's on his way.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23 View Post
Why not let him drive himself? Dh has his scheduled for later this month and planned to just drive there after work then drive home, it's on his way.
That's what I questioned. For us, it was a scheduling issue, after he had already rescheduled it. Many mamas here advised that it doesn't always go as easily as planned, and that men can feel light headed and woozy afterwards. There is also the possibility of the man needing meds to calm his nerves before the procedure. None of these things happened to us, but in the end, I was glad I drove him.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #26
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
The short answer is no.

As I've now found out some men try to have reversals and additional surgeries but none of the stories I've read have they been able to heal fully. DH has more then one side effect so it isn't likely that even IF he were willing to have another operation (which he isn't incase it gets even worse) it would work. BUT the "good" thing is there are some men in horrible chronic pain for the rest of their lives and at least he isn't one of them. I just wish someone would have told us that the complications are a LOT more serious and long lasting then the glossy brochure makes them out to be if you happen to be someone who has it happen to them. As I said before it wasn't Dr error, or using a quack, it was just how DH's body reacted to the procedure it could happen to anyone.
Wow. So sorry to hear this but tfs.

Im going to check out that website. I didnt realize there were so many possible risks till I started reading the other thread here that was linked. Now I am very very on the fence. I would like to use something other than condoms but not sure what else is effective and I dont want to temp everydya bc the mornings are so crazy here.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH just had his about a month ago. He made it look easy. I came into the room after the procedure and he got up, dressed and walked out like he'd had a routine exam or something. He iced well for a couple of days, then was back at work.

He said the stitches were really bothersome for maybe a week/10 days. He was in his boxers again after just a day or so, though. We were back at "it" in 3 weeks.

I think this is going to majorly open doors to really enjoying ourselves again. There's a lot of pressure associated with being married to a highly fertile woman. It's a curse of it's own kind and I'm so grateful he did it for us.

I can't speak to any long-term lasting effects, but I feel like this is a much safer, more palatable option than me taking hormonal birth control and dealing with the side effects long-term or me undergoing surgery for a questionably reliable procedure or the expense and hassle of any other kind of birth control. NFP is great, but it was making me nuts to abstain when all I wanted to do was do it, kwim?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
pkaskaggs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dh's is scheduled for next month but I'm still not 1oo%sure this is what's right for us.
pkaskaggs is offline   Reply With Quote