Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
July10baby
Registered Users

I would keep him home if he had a fever. I wouldn't want to risk getting other kiddos sick, and I would want my baby home in their own surroundings if they weren't feeling well.... There's a little one that I baby sit, and I do not take him w/ fever, puking, diarrhea, or cold symptoms that seem contagious, such as colored snot. At the end of the day my child's health has to come before another parent.

Advertisement

July10baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fever and daycare policies

Our school calls anything 99.5 and over a fever.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Our school calls anything 99.5 and over a fever.
Depends on how you take it. Temperatures from under arm, oral, rectal, and temporal scan are not equal. Id have to look it up.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Depends on how you take it. Temperatures from under arm, oral, rectal, and temporal scan are not equal. Id have to look it up.
Our center actually specified in the contract that all temps were considered under arm.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks.. he's been sick on and off for a couple weeks. I took him to the MDs after Christmas because his cough and runny nose wasn't going away. The doc say "meh - could be minor ear infection at this point" and gave him ammox. So we're still on the meds (today is the last dose I think) and yet the fever started again yesterday.

If he has a fever today we'll take him to the walk-in. All they keep saying is it's viral. LO has never been one to tug at his ears, etc. Aside from being a little quiet when he's really spiking a fever, he acts completely fine, eats, etc .. so it's hard to tell if it's something more than teething.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #16
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's been one of the worst influenza seasons here. In my sons school there was a dy only half the grade was there. Takes forever to get over it.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
We do 99.5 oral. We're a middle school.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

DH took LO to the docs. His temp this morning was 100.2
Doc said, of course, it's a new viral cold. Dh is home with him today.

My issue is these fevers last 3-4 days - not always high (102 is his where he tops out) and he's acting/eating fine. And he's been doing this fever thing every 10-14 days. We love our son and want to take care of him but we can't stay home three days a week every other week for fevers. ugh.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

But you can't send him when he keeps having fevers either. Ultimately, it's up to the parents to be able to handle the situation, the daycare provider can't be expected to take in a child with a fever several days a week and risk all of the kids (and herself) getting sick.

I've never really understood the "teething" thing. DS never had a fever when he was teething, so it's just odd to me.

Perhaps you need to look into a different childcare arrangement for awhile. Even if it costs more, it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice. May need to hire someone privately so there isn't an issue with other kids being exposed.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 01-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I've never really understood the "teething" thing. DS never had a fever when he was teething, so it's just odd to me.
For us (daycare providers) "Teething" is a running joke. When we are sick, we call it "teething". Even if we are on our deathbeds, it's "Just teething".

Even if the child really is teething, if the parents says that, we are silently laughing at them.

The "teething" excuse along with the "It's just allergies" excuse is WAY overused. So, when it's legit, we don't believe it.