Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
mommyofhjm
Registered Users

Nail biting gone bad

My bf's 6 year old son is biting his nails and then sticking the pieces of nail in his gums, where he lost his tooth. Does that make sense? I guess when ds went home to his mother's over the weekend (we have his kids 90% of the time) she said she pulled like 20 pieces of nail out of his gum and puss came out. (she cld be exggaerating, idk) He lost his tooth, I think about a month ago & one hasn't grown in, this would be why. Ds always has his hands in house mouth, always biting his nails. Huge yucky to me. I have suggested things to try to get him to stop, but bf blows it off and says its just his nervous habit. Well that nervous habit is affecting him adversly now. Any suggestions? Or ideas why he would be sticking them into his gums like that?

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cause it feels cool? Kids do weird things. We follow up brush our kids teeth until 8 per the directions of their dentist. You should try that. Then you have a visual on that spot constsntly
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nail biting gone bad

I suspect it just feels weird to stick them in his gums so that is why he does it. I'd help him floss good each night to clean his gums up good for starters.

Another thought - has he always bit his nails or is this something new? Dd1 started biting a ton of stuff this fall (her shirt, pencils,etc) but she's always bit her nails since she was 1. We asked our pedi about it since I was tired of replacing shirts. He said biting can be a sign of iron deficiency or too much lead in your system. It can also just be a habit with no good explanation. So talking with your pedi next time you're there isn't a bad idea.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote