Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use my breadmaker for breads, rolls, english muffins, and bagels (the.dough stage ) at.least 3x a week. Love it!

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I buy a breadmaker?

echoing PP - I got one at a garage sale and love using it to make dough then baking it in the oven.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I almost might as well type "ditto" and leave it at that, lol.

Had mine given to us because Grandma in law hated her son's ex-wife who had given it to her...

and of course I love it! Not sure of brand, I suggest just google-ing for best reviews and picking one based on what you want for performance. Or thrift!

I dont leave mine to bake in the machine, as pp stated just weird! That and I can usually get two loaves of bread per batch.

And as a side note- I recently discovered how to make AMAZINGLY light and airy bread! Add 3 TBLS of Vital Wheat Gluten....it turns a heavy dense loaf into nice light sandwich bread that no one can refuse!

Last edited by AutumnRose; 01-08-2013 at 05:57 PM.
AutumnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a bread machine and used it often. But then, last year for taxes I invested in a kitchen aid mixer, and it does all my kneading for me!! I love it! I just keep it in the bowl and cover it to let it rise, and it's great!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I make/knead the dough in my food processor, and bake it in regular pans. It is awesome bread, and super easy. I make 3 loaves about every 5 days (family of 7).

I had a breadmachine for years, but rarely used it. I finally sold it for $20 at a garage sale. I think the woman who bought it loves it (she is a friend of a friend). IMO, it is really personal preference whether you prefer to make it in a machine or more by hand.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY View Post
I had a bread machine and used it often. But then, last year for taxes I invested in a kitchen aid mixer, and it does all my kneading for me!! I love it! I just keep it in the bowl and cover it to let it rise, and it's great!
I use my mixer for artesian breads
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
Have you ever tried bread machine bread? Depending on the bread machine you end up with this weird round not so great bread. I use mine to kneed and mix the bread but not to bake it. (I got mine under $5 at a thrift store! )
I used my bread machine for cinnamon buns. I bought off of Craigslist. The paddle got stuck in the garbage disposal and it got all scratched up. I didn't think about just replacing that part--so I got rid of the bread machine.

I'd like to get one in February from the thrift store. I saw one that sells for $99 on Amazon for $5. I passed because it was sooooooo dirty and I didn't know if it was broken or not.

I won't bake the bread in it, just use it for the dough.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Foxsma
Registered Users
seller

I don't eat bread but my a lot of people around me do and I love making it. I'm bread challenged LOL I've never made a from scratch loaf of bread that turned out. I went through 5 bread machines before I found the Zorijushi bread maker. It RULES!
Foxsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRose View Post
And as a side note- I recently discovered how to make AMAZINGLY light and airy bread! Add 3 TBLS of Vital Wheat Gluten....it turns a heavy dense loaf into nice light sandwich bread that no one can refuse!
no way! gonna try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxsma View Post
I don't eat bread but my a lot of people around me do and I love making it. I'm bread challenged LOL I've never made a from scratch loaf of bread that turned out. I went through 5 bread machines before I found the Zorijushi bread maker. It RULES!
Same brand here! Makes great bread and has been going to a LONG time. Was my grandmother's before she went in a nursing home.

I'd recommend you buy a few boxes of packages of bread mix to try it out in the beginning. That way you can get used to the bread maker (and fall in love with it!) before flopping on a crappy recipe and then never using it.

Using more oil sometimes makes the bread....lighter? less dense? Something wonderful.

Pay careful attention to the washing instructions on the bread pan - you don't wanna soak it or put in the wash machine or it causes issues. Easy to just wipe it out really quickly though.
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
TWOGREENBEANS
Registered Users
seller

I am saving up to buy a zojurushi- very expensive but SO worth it!
TWOGREENBEANS is offline   Reply With Quote